"Mythbuster's" Tonite and Helicopters

I saw a promo for tonites "Mythbusters", something todo with trying to see if a postage stamp on a T/R will cause it to loose control. Tonite at 9pm on TLC or Discovery Channel (can't remember which, Tivo records it automatically for me).

Yup, it were bustedio.

One comment; I think it was the pilot that said something along the line of paint, dust, or such can cause the blades to become unbalanced and cause failure. If that's true, then the bugs I see on the leading edge ought to cause failure-yet it doesn't.

And what was that methane and bubbles thingy? That was cool.

Later.

I haven't even seen it yet, don't tell me anymore LOL! I am waiting for the wife to get home to watch it. Methane and bubbles huh...... sounds like that could be a fun explosive thing if in the right hands hehehe

Guest rookie101

If i am not mistake (and I probably am) the reason that that stamp might somehow effect the airflow over the TR was because of how the air seperates over the airfoil ya know, laminar layer, turbulent layer something like that if I remember my readings correctly :unsure:.

I didn't see it. When I looked at the menu on my DVR I didn't see that as one of the things on the shows last night. They are playing a bunch this week. What was the other thing that they did in that same show? I'm thinking that is what was in the description on the menu. I setup the DVR to record a bunch of them. Hopefully one of them has this one...

I didn't see it. When I looked at the menu on my DVR I didn't see that as one of the things on the shows last night. They are playing a bunch this week. What was the other thing that they did in that same show? I'm thinking that is what was in the description on the menu. I setup the DVR to record a bunch of them. Hopefully one of them has this one...

NEVERMIND. It is the show with the Mento's and Diet Coke thing. I setup to record that one so I should see it tonight when I get home...

They have to have filler, to make up for the expensive shows...

Remember the one where they sank the ship, then raised it with ping-pong balls? Those are expensive to do, so they do shows like this to balance out the budget.

That practice is very common in television, because the flashy stuff just costs too much to do every week.

It was fun enough - one good part was when they put a postage stamp on the M/R of the MD500 and it actually improved the balance.

And I've got to try that methane and soap thing!

Between Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs, I do like the Discovery Channel.

You are under the impression that it was a brand new helicopter, with all the parts on it...

They seem to use a lot of old stuff, they might have swapped it at some point, you never know...

They still have some good ones, you have to DVR it, then fast forward through the fluff...

I probably watch 1/2 of it, still interesting, even if it isn't really science half the time.

it was a brand new one, probly cost at least $2000 too. They picked it up, tried to build it, couldn't figure it out, so they took it back and had the company assemble it, then they destroyed it. :rolleyes: didnt even try to fly it

Yeah they said the cost was about $2k. They tried to learn to fly in about 10 minutes. Big surprise, flying an r/c heli is harder than it looks! Ok, let's destroy it then. Pretty much follows the standard Mythbusters format. :)

I think the whole segment was simply a guise to play with, then destroy an expensive r/c helicopter, and then to get an MD ride out of the Oakland PD. As Keri said in the end, keep sending in Myths like that so they can keep playing! (I suspect they send those ones in themselves!)

Yeah, I'm bitter because I'm envious...

Ryan

P.S. Thanks to Brushfire for posting the heads up on the episode. It was worthwhile to see a little bit of OPD's MD.

And howabout that tail slide backwards when it came in to land? I gots to learn how to do that so I can impress the grandkids. :)

Later.

I still haven't seen the friggin episode yet. My 2 brothers and sister-in-laws came over so I didn't have a chance to see it yet tonite.......

Sounds like it may have been semi-anti-climatic. But then again, they destroyed something in the Mythbusters way, so it can't be to bad hehehe!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rookie101

Well, since this episode has come and gone (and was all but boring and disappointing aside from the MD scenes) I saw a promo on the Discovery Channel about the show Stunt Junkies. An upcoming episode has one guy (who is either incredibly stupid or doesn't know the meaning of pain and suffering) is going to jump FOUR RUNNING R-22's.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episod...amp;channel=DSC

The above link gives a little description of it and on the left hand side you'll see a reminder list of when the show airs and on what dates. There is also another episode involving another genteman that will be jumping out of an A-Star to go rafting down some kind of falls. I don't know much about the details on this one, but I will be looking for it.

Cheers everyone B)

Guest rookie101

Alright, that was at least 10 times better than the Mythbuster's one. I think it would have been a little more interesting to see him biff it though and not get shreded by the blades. I waited until the end of the credits and the only company I could catch was Corporate Helicopters. Has anyone else seen this episode yet?

Yah I saw it, it wasn't bad. Took them an hour to show 5 seconds of film showing him jump across the 44's. I was kind of hoping for some breath taking action, but it was kinda anti-climatic in my opinion. I don't recall the shot, but it would have been cool having a camera on the bike, would have given us a sense of what he saw. But then again, if he had biffed it, then they wouldn't have shown it, and it would be have been on tv months prior to the showing!