FAA Written test questions

I am doing some pre-studying prior to starting flight school in a few months for my PPL-H. My instructor suggested that I start studying for the FAA written to help save on time and possibly money. I bought a few books to get a little further ahead and to get some knowledge of aircraft and heli's specifically.

Now I am on to a study book with the written questions, answers and explanations in it (for all the supposed FAA questions for all cats/classes of aircraft). My question to all of you experiance folks who have taken the FAA written is this: How much do I need to pay attention to questions that pertain to gliders, lighter-than-air ships and the like. It doesn't bother me to study and review additional test questions and gain some insight in other fields. But to be honest, I would prefer to focus on what my goal is (PPL-H for now), and concentrate on the subject matter that seems to be the most pertinent.

The study book did mention that all the questions should be reviewed, but more than likely only test questions for the class of license being sought will be used. For rotary aircraft, all questions labelled "All, aircraft, and Rotary" would most likely be used. Whereas, questions marked only "Gliders, Lighter-than-air" etc would more than likely not show up for a PPL-H license test. Is this accurate information or does somebody have some good useful information here to sugest otherwise, and all questions from the pool of questions for all aircraft need to be reviewed.

Sorry for being long winded on a short subject, but I am just trying to pass on exactly what I am looking for. Thanks everyone in advance. PS, I did do a quick search and didn't really find anything that pertained in my opinion from what I saw. - Roger

Roger,

Good question. You're right, there isn't much on this subject out there...I have never seen this question posed before.

I would say that that the questions you need to focus on are the ones which pertain to your category and class. Rotorcraft - Helicopter. These are the ones that will come up in the exams.

Put it this way, if you are absolutely spot on in your category and class questions, then any other questions (airplane / gliders) that slip in to your exams shouldn't affect your marks that much. Do you see what I mean?

It was some time since I took those exams, so I can't remember exactly whether there were any spurious questions in them. I'm sure there's the odd one here and there, but like I said, generally the focus will be on rotorcraft-helicopter. Someone else may be able to be more specific on this.

One thing that you do want to watch, is that they can ask you questions not related to your class, but related to your category. E.g. Rotorcraft - Gyrocopter

So have a look at the gyrocopter questions as well. Don't lose too much sleep over them, but do take the time to give them a once over.

Good luck,

Joker

P.S. If you can get your hands on the 'Test Prep' software it might be good for you! Its rote learning, but suited my style better. So long as I understand the stuff, I don't feel any shame in rote learning the questions from computer software!

Yes, this is a good question.

Although not a CFI - I did do the written test about 7 years ago. (I assume I will need to do it again).

In the Private and Commercial written tests - it was mostly Helicopter questions.

However, in the CFI - right at the end of the questions I had about 3 or 4 plane ones - which threw me off and I found myself guessing a couple of them.

That's a good idea about getting the software if you can, to help make the studying a little more interesting maybe.

Try also to take the time to understand the answers. It is all so easy to just remember or spot the correct answer without really understanding the reasons. That is one thing that really surprised me about the ability of being able to buy a book in advance in order to know or cover all of the possible potential exam questions in advance.

Having said that - I too must study up and get back into flying. I'm sure that I must learn a lot more this time around instead of just recognizing answers as I did before..

Here is an example of the software available out there:

http://www.helicoptersonly.com/store/index...target=d30.html (Exam Prep | Exam Software)

http://www.pilotshop.com/software-c-173.ht...011f0e355443509

All the Best.

Joker and Grant,

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have the test prep software and am using that as well, trying to use several learning types (both written and computer-multimedia) to try to get the information from a a couple of angles because of the learning curve.

Yes, I am trying to learn and understand the questions as best as I can so its not just FAA questions I have memorized, but trying to be more well rounded for future tests, and also it seems that some of the oral.practical test questions relate to the FAA written questions.

I just don't want to waste to many brain cells and hours of studying on test questions that don't relate what so ever.

Example for a Glider:

3750 "What minimum upward current must a glider encounter to maintain altitude?

A.) At least 2 feet per second.

B.) The same as the gliders sink rate.

C.) The same as the adjacent down currents.

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Grant,

Although not a CFI - I did do the written test about 7 years ago. (I assume I will need to do it again).

In my usual style, I challenged myself to find an official FAA reference for the topic being discussed - i.e knowledge test validity! I'm sure there's an FAA order somewhere that has it, but in the meantime here's the best I can do!

FAA-G-8082-17A, Recreational Pilot and Private Pilot Knowledge Test Guide

VALIDITY OF AIRMAN KNOWLEDGE TEST REPORTS

Airman Knowledge Test Reports are valid for the 24-calendar month period preceding the month you complete the practical test. If the Airman Knowledge Test Report expires before completion of the practical test, you must retake the knowledge test.

The FAA site for all the guides is Airmen Knowledge Test Guides

Roger (and everyone),

I agree with what Grant says. Make sure you understand every answer, then the burden on your memory is reduced as you will be able to deduce the answers to questions you can't remember! Remember the knowledge tests represent 'minimum standards' of knowledge. Certainly not where I want to be on the ladder.

Someone said to me early on in my career, "Any monkey can fly an aircraft. What will get you the jobs (especially as an instructor) is your ground knowledge. That's what will help you stand out above the rest." I can see now these were words of wisdom.

Food for thought.

Joker

P.S. How about 'B' for a wild stab at the glider question?!!!

Roger,

I've always used the ASA books, just my own preference. I take the book, and I use a green and yellow highlighter(again, my preference). I use the yellow for the question, and the green for the answer. I go through the complete book, and using a black sharpie, and cross out the glider, LTA, and airplane questions(or if it's big group of these questions, i will tear out the pages). I only highlight the question and the answer of ALL or RTC questions. Then I read the question and the answer, do 3 pages, then go back over the 3 pages, go 2 pages, and so on. It took me 3 weeks of studying 4 hours a day, no radio or TV, and I got a 93 on my commercial. It takes a lot of concentration, but it's just pure memorization. I would also write down the questions, that I did not understand, and did some ground with my CFI before I actually started studying.

my .02!

R91

Roger, find some guys who are in the same situation at your school, and start a study group once a week at someones house.

Everyone,

Thanks for the great advice, and I agree that knowing the subject matter is whats important. This way I am prepared written test as well as the practical-oral, and also to build on for the CPL, and CFI tests. But I think its useless to study materials and bog myself down on questions and learning the subject matter on something that is immaterial on the test I am going to take. I doubt knowing the glide slope information is going to help now or later on in life (unless I decide that I want to fly gliders, and maybe that will be the only thing available to fly if we run short on fuel haha).

Rotor91,

I have the ASA books, and that is what I am referring to. I am actually putting the questions and answers on spiral 3x5 cards. I do better reading the question, answer it, If I have problem I read up on the material, then I write it down with the answer on the back of the 3x5 card for future reference. This way I have to see and review the material several times. In addition, I have a Jeppenson Book that has alot of really good information, pictures, charts and software that I am also using. I am not at the school yet, I will be going down to SoCal in December to start training. I am trying to get ahead of the curve for the time being, so that when I get arrive, I can review with my instructor and get the ok to take the written test. After that hopefully I can concentrate on the flying aspect and practical test. Not sure if its the best plan, but it seemed good at the time!

In regards to the ASA test prep book, can I ignore everything except ALL and RTC? I have been studying the information for AIR (F/W aircraft study material) as well, knowing that the written would probably have questions from that group as well for general knowledge. From what I have read, the written test is almost the same between F/W and R/W, so I deduced I should know F/W information as well, and don't have a problem studying it as well. It just seems a waste to study up on Gliders, hot-air-balloons etc.

Everyone,

Thanks for the great advice, and I agree that knowing the subject matter is whats important. This way I am prepared written test as well as the practical-oral, and also to build on for the CPL, and CFI tests. But I think its useless to study materials and bog myself down on questions and learning the subject matter on something that is immaterial on the test I am going to take. I doubt knowing the glide slope information is going to help now or later on in life (unless I decide that I want to fly gliders, and maybe that will be the only thing available to fly if we run short on fuel haha).

Rotor91,

I have the ASA books, and that is what I am referring to. I am actually putting the questions and answers on spiral 3x5 cards. I do better reading the question, answer it, If I have problem I read up on the material, then I write it down with the answer on the back of the 3x5 card for future reference. This way I have to see and review the material several times. In addition, I have a Jeppenson Book that has alot of really good information, pictures, charts and software that I am also using. I am not at the school yet, I will be going down to SoCal in December to start training. I am trying to get ahead of the curve for the time being, so that when I get arrive, I can review with my instructor and get the ok to take the written test. After that hopefully I can concentrate on the flying aspect and practical test. Not sure if its the best plan, but it seemed good at the time!

In regards to the ASA test prep book, can I ignore everything except ALL and RTC? I have been studying the information for AIR (F/W aircraft study material) as well, knowing that the written would probably have questions from that group as well for general knowledge. From what I have read, the written test is almost the same between F/W and R/W, so I deduced I should know F/W information as well, and don't have a problem studying it as well. It just seems a waste to study up on Gliders, hot-air-balloons etc.

Roger,

Don't waste your time with AIR questions. You might get 1 or 2 accidently when you take the test, but make sure you address this issue with test supervisor. I did this when I took my commercial, I got one AIR question, and they marked it right(even though, I got it wrong...go figure!!). By writing it on 3x5 cards, you're drilling this into your head, you be surprised what the old nogg'n will remember.

Even if your going to start the flying part in Dec., maybe have a couple of ground schools, if you're completely lost on a certain question(s), principles of flight, maneuvers, etc..

BTW, the 407 that did the sling drop at the Hiller Helicopter show, crashed in MT(doing sling work), pilot walked away! Weird huh?

R91

R91, Thanks for the info, I usually do decent with tests and studying as long as I have good info to study from. I am not a stranger to cramming things into my little head, but I like to find out if what I am studying is pertinent (sp) hahaha. Though I usually forget the hobbies and other pertinent information the girls write down as soon as the centerfold section has been opened.... I can't seem to remember anything after that point hahaha!

As far as the MT crash, are you talking about the Silverstate copter that dropped the car on the air field for a demo?

[edited for spelling/conext]

As far as the MT crash, are you talking about the Silverstate copter that dropped the car on the air field for a demo?

[edited for spelling/conext]

YEP! I took a photo of it, and verified the N numbers.

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 407SH Make/Model: B407 Description: Bell 407

Date: 08/19/2006 Time: 1755

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: Substantial

City: HAVRE State: MT Country: US

DESCRIPTION

N407SH, A BELL BHT407 ROTORCRAFT, MADE A HARD LANDING, THE TAIL ROTOR

STRUCK THE EXTERNAL LOAD AND TAIL ROTOR DRIVE SHAFT SHEARED OFF, 40 MILES

SOUTH OF HAVRE, MT

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0

# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR KHVR 191755Z AUTO 22013 KT 10SM CLR 27/06 A3004

OTHER DATA

Departed: Dep Date: Dep. Time:

Destination: Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:

Last Radio Cont:

Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: HELENA, MT (NM05) Entry date: 08/22/2006

All you have to pay attention to are the questions that say ALL or the Helicopter questions, skip over the other sections (LTA, Glider, Air, etc). I've taken the Private and Commercial tests this way and always scored in the 90s.

Roger, I second the above. Just be sure that your test prep is based on the NEW set of questions that changed back in May/ June and not the previous set. The rules of aerodynamics dont change but the way they word the question does !!

Also, no one has mentioned my old fav site yet, www.mywrittenexam.com I found it very helpful....free..and very similar to the real thing. BTW, when taking the written you can "flag" questions and go back to them at the end, also the computerized version has a built in flight calculator..very helpful

I dont have the answer to the glider question, but I am trying to schedule my first glider lesson for Saturday, so maybe I'll let you know !

Goldy

Goldy, Confirming your talking about the 2007 test prep and not the 2006 test prep correct? Amazon sent me the 2006 study guide by accident instead of the 2007 that I ordered, I already had the 2006 from 6 mnths ago. I have an email into them to see what happened. I will try out the website you suggested as well.

Cobra66, thanks for the info. Sound slike I am on the right path. Study the "ALL" and "RTC" theory and questions and I should be set.

Joker, you are correct. The answer was "B" for the test question above.

Thankyou again everyone, I think I am on my way and have a clear direction of what I need to do now. Unless someone else has something else to add, I am off and running. -Roger

Goldy, Confirming your talking about the 2007 test prep and not the 2006 test prep correct? Amazon sent me the 2006 study guide by accident instead of the 2007 that I ordered, I already had the 2006 from 6 mnths ago. I have an email into them to see what happened. I will try out the website you suggested as well.

Cobra66, thanks for the info. Sound slike I am on the right path. Study the "ALL" and "RTC" theory and questions and I should be set.

Joker, you are correct. The answer was "B" for the test question above.

Thankyou again everyone, I think I am on my way and have a clear direction of what I need to do now. Unless someone else has something else to add, I am off and running. -Roger

Roger- you are correct, I believe they are now testing on the 2007 set.

I have (in the past) used Gleim, ASA, etc.

MUCH prefer Dauntless Aviation - Ground School software! It will filter the question banks for the exam YOU select (i.e. Rotorcraft Helicopter), and you can start with FlashCard mode to just study the correct answers before moving on to all choices and simulated exams. They constantly update both their software and the question banks and updates are free once you have paid to unlock a bank. I have found the low cost to be well worth it, you can download the software and try it for free. I have no association with them - just a satisfied customer.

Good Luck!

Also, no one has mentioned my old fav site yet, www.mywrittenexam.com I found it very helpful....free..and very similar to the real thing. BTW, when taking the written you can "flag" questions and go back to them at the end, also the computerized version has a built in flight calculator..very helpful

Man this is a great topic! it is answering questions that I have been wondering about for awhile! One of those things I assumed would really work itself out once I started ground (As of January)

I went to www.mywrittenexam.com and the first page says this:

Features of MyWrittenExam.com Include:

The official FAA test bank with every single question you can be asked on your Written Exam. Updated for 2005!

But we are talking 2007 here... Am I just COMPLETELY missing something or is this site out of date? It looks great and I am hoping it is not, because I could really use it!

RR,

I haven't gotten that far yet (to check out the site), so thanks for checking it out. Hopfully one of the guys will chime in. The other option is to email someone from the practice test site to see what they have to say.

RR,

I haven't gotten that far yet (to check out the site), so thanks for checking it out. Hopfully one of the guys will chime in. The other option is to email someone from the practice test site to see what they have to say.

I meant to do just that yesterday but got bogged down with work. (Then headed out to the 'Stros game, all work and no play... ya know) I will put a word into them and let you know what they say.

http://www.asa2fly.com/files/updates/TP-P06-05.pdf for the 2005 book updates,

http://www.asa2fly.com/files/updates/TP-P06-06.pdf for the 2006 book updates.

I haven't found the 2007 updates yet, but the updates might help.

Later.

Your on top of it Witch. Maybe instead of looking at copter pics and ltoyhaulers for my sand toys, I should be looking at the websites that are more important for what I want todo. My A.D.D. may be kicking in hahaha!