Bad Boyz

Ok, so after doing some autos-they still suck-and a little flyin' around, we went back to the ramp. On the way back, we notice several officers near a black R-22. That's when I noticed I was coming in a little hot, and got the beast back under control and landed. We shut down and went into the office where we were told a story.

It seems that the CFI and student, from a different school-I ain't sayin', and no it wasn't SSH-, somehow were caught landing on a train. I don't know whether it was moving or not, but it seems that the rail was next to a highway and a motorist called 911. So, we had laugh about it. I think someone has been watching too many movies.

One of the officers came in to talk to someone. While he was waiting, we talked about what happened. He thought it was idiotic. That's when I said "But the entertainment value was pretty good I bet.". I think he got a chuckle from it.

So, let this be a lesson: If you're going to land on a train, do it where there're no cars or prople around.

Later.

Need more information on this one! So if I understand you correctly, an R-22 landed on a moving choo-choo train? And this was confirmed or being investigated to see if it really did happen? SOmebody sure had ther depends on, because I would have needed to change my pants after that attempt hahaha!

Need more information on this one! So if I understand you correctly, an R-22 landed on a moving choo-choo train? And this was confirmed or being investigated to see if it really did happen? SOmebody sure had ther depends on, because I would have needed to change my pants after that attempt hahaha!

Sorry I can't give more details, but that is what I heard. I don't know if it was moving or where it happened. Aaron asked if it happened on Friday, but I heard about it on Saturday when the cops were talking to the pilots of the R-22.

The details are sketchy and I can't give any more info. Sorry.

While we were talking about it, the chief pilot asked me if we had seen a train or flew over a train. I said we flew over the tracks nearby, but no train. I guess that wasn't the answer he wanted to hear because he was saying something like 'No, you didn't see any train' while laughing. We were joking pretty good.

One last thing; I have the game "Crimson Skies", and in one scenerio, Nathan-the hero-climbs onto a moving train from an airplane in order to rescue some scientists daughter. Good graphics I might add. It's a great game if you don't mind getting shot at while flying through building construction. Some of those beams are too close.

Later

Ya got me thinkin' , landing on a moving train would be no more difficult than landing w/ a headwind, no? I seen a guy once at an airshow land a piper cub on a flatbed truck,,, looked "unusual" but? fairly easy in the hands of a skilled cub pilot ! ( with acess to a 8 thousand foot runway)

Now that would be something a flight school would have that none other does ! Any one out there have a locomotive, a few miles of track & a few flatcars? OR? would you like to land on one of our boxcars?! :lol:

OR perhaps our "turbine train landings" :rolleyes:

Landing on a moving object is no easy feat.

Not too bad while on long approach, because the object (boat, truck, train) is moving with respect to you, and so is the background. But as you get closer, and your relative speed approaches zero, the human brain has a few conflicts. You KNOW you are almost stopped w.r.t. the object, but if you glance at the moving background, you see that you have a lot of forward speed, so the natural reaction is to pull back on the cyclic to slow down - which you do - and you lose pace with the truck/boat etc. Start the approach again.

This tendency is hugely hard to overcome, particularly when you are overhead the boat or truck and have lost sight of it. All you can see is the background rushing past you. A train would be a bit different, as it is long enough to still be in your vision. Longlining techniques with your noggin out the door looking straight down would overcome the problem. :blink:

Landing on a moving object is no easy feat.

Not too bad while on long approach, because the object (boat, truck, train) is moving with respect to you, and so is the background. But as you get closer, and your relative speed approaches zero, the human brain has a few conflicts. You KNOW you are almost stopped w.r.t. the object, but if you glance at the moving background, you see that you have a lot of forward speed, so the natural reaction is to pull back on the cyclic to slow down - which you do - and you lose pace with the truck/boat etc. Start the approach again.

This tendency is hugely hard to overcome, particularly when you are overhead the boat or truck and have lost sight of it. All you can see is the background rushing past you. A train would be a bit different, as it is long enough to still be in your vision. Longlining techniques with your noggin out the door looking straight down would overcome the problem. :blink:

Something like trying to read your posts with those damned boobs bouncing?.... :P

Ya got me thinkin' , landing on a moving train would be no more difficult than landing w/ a headwind, no? I seen a guy once at an airshow land a piper cub on a flatbed truck,,, looked "unusual" but? fairly easy in the hands of a skilled cub pilot ! ( with acess to a 8 thousand foot runway)

Now that would be something a flight school would have that none other does ! Any one out there have a locomotive, a few miles of track & a few flatcars? OR? would you like to land on one of our boxcars?! :lol:

OR perhaps our "turbine train landings" :rolleyes:

You need to see the movie Deadly Encounter, with Larry Hagman in it. They land a 500 charlie model on a semi cruising down the freeway. Crap storyline and acting, but the flying in the film is legendary.

• 2 weeks later...

This is crazy, but true,Although the pilot aint saying whether he actually touched down or not,the student isnt talking either.The FAA is only going to suspend his license for a few months for the incident. Lets just say at this point he is unemployed. I guess he was getting bored? foolish nevertheless.

Landing on a moving object isn't that hard, depending on the speed, I guess. I've landed on probably more than a hundred moving vessels over the years, moving both horizontally and vertically. The vertical motion is much harder to adjust to. If a boat is pitching 6 or 8 feet up and down, you have to time it very precisely. Add a few degrees of roll in, and it gets a little more dicey, but it can be done. The takeoff loaded to max gross weight can be exciting, too. But simple horizontal movement is just a matter of matching speed, and concentrating on the landing point and nothing else. Where you can get into some trouble is landing with the landing point moving toward you, instead of in the same direction. If you're not careful, you'll end up really steep, perhaps vertical, and you need to go around and try again. Practice makes it easier. At 3AM, with lots of wind and zero moonlight, you have to concentrate on what you're doing. That's why we make the big bucks, as the joke goes. The joke hangs on one word, 'big'.

You need to see the movie Deadly Encounter, with Larry Hagman in it. They land a 500 charlie model on a semi cruising down the freeway. Crap storyline and acting, but the flying in the film is legendary.

Is that the one where they land on a flatbed and soon go under a bridge? I think I may have seen that one rainy Sunday afternoon when the only other thing on the TV was Lawrence Welk.

Hey Gomer, What kind of flying were you doing that warranted landing on a marine vessel? Navy? Tuna boat?

Later.

Where you can get into some trouble is landing with the landing point moving toward you, instead of in the same direction. If you're not careful, you'll end up really steep, perhaps vertical, and you need to go around and try again. Practice makes it easier. At 3AM, with lots of wind and zero moonlight, you have to concentrate on what you're doing.

I don't know Gomer.....You make some of this sound easy, but I think my pucker factor would be off the scale..... it would take a day to remove the seat cushion from my a$$ after something like that :blink:

Fly Safe

Clark B)

Is that the one where they land on a flatbed and soon go under a bridge? I think I may have seen that one rainy Sunday afternoon when the only other thing on the TV was Lawrence Welk.

Funny you mention Lawrence Welk. His grandson Larry Welk III is a famous ENG pilot/reporter for KCBS/KCAL in LA. If you have ever watched one of those "World's Wildest Police Chases" shows you have heard his voice. He has my dream job. Anyone ever met the guy?