Need Opinions

dctgs

HI folks

I have some questions to ask.

My history first.

I'm 50. Good health except a fused left wrist. Any movement on the collective would come from my elbow and the roll I could get out of my fingers.

I took a ride the other day and the CFI told me that wouldn't be a problem. Of course, he wanted to sell me lessons as well.......

I'm a thirty year hang glider pilot which may not mean too much to most of you, but the sport has left me with a tremendous amount of experience with weather and mountain flying in thermal lift. I think I would be good as a helicopter pilot. I think it would be a career I could enjoy for the rest of my life.

Am I too old. I don't feel like I am. Opinions?

My wrist. Opinions?

thanks

dctgs

Hi dctgs,

Becoming a helicopter pilot is a big decision. It's a big investment, but can definitely be worth it. If you are looking at doing this as a profession I would advice you to look up a medical examiner. Flying with a fused wrist might not be a problem in a turbine helicopter, but in a piston driven helo without governor, you might have to make rapid throttle changes. Working as a CFI for example; Say you are to demonstrate a forced landing for a student. Chopping the throttle might not be as easy. Students doing overspeeds need rapid correction. I don’t want to be the one to break any dreams, but working as a professional pilot with a fused left wrist is something I would think twice about, maybe more….

Best regards

2rst1 (CPL/IR)

HI folks

I have some questions to ask.

My history first.

I'm 50. Good health except a fused left wrist. Any movement on the collective would come from my elbow and the roll I could get out of my fingers.

I took a ride the other day and the CFI told me that wouldn't be a problem. Of course, he wanted to sell me lessons as well.......

I'm a thirty year hang glider pilot which may not mean too much to most of you, but the sport has left me with a tremendous amount of experience with weather and mountain flying in thermal lift. I think I would be good as a helicopter pilot. I think it would be a career I could enjoy for the rest of my life.

Am I too old. I don't feel like I am. Opinions?

My wrist. Opinions?

thanks

dctgs

If your retirement is set and you've got money to burn, what the hell, hire a private instructor and become really good at it. But, any financial situation short of that, hell no you don't want to spend way too much money to get a commercial rating. Fly for fun and keep it fun.

I appreciate your replies guys. As to whether I take it remains to be seen. :-)

Thanks again

If your retirement is set and you've got money to burn, what the hell, hire a private instructor and become really good at it. But, any financial situation short of that, hell no you don't want to spend way too much money to get a commercial rating. Fly for fun and keep it fun.