Physics of flight

OMG!

I really should have paid better attention in school!!!!!! :blink:

Tell me something.....and please be straight, Do I REALLY need to be able to rack the physics stuff off the top of my head at a moments notice or am I making hair grow out my ears for nothing. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy pushing flaming toothpicks into my eye sockets in my spare time but I'm hoping that this stuff will start making better sense when I start flying. Ya see I'm the kinda guy that visualizes what is happening and works out how to manulipulate it to make other things happen.

Example: when I picture a helo in flight I see it sitting on a big pillow of air, and using the controls you manipulate that pillow to make the bird do what you want. Now this may make allot of you laugh your a** off and others to pray you never fly with me but hey, it works for me. I also know that I need to learn how to manipulate that pillow (I need another name for it pillow sounds too feminine....honey,, we need another pillow for the loveseat :rolleyes: ) anyway, hence flight school.

All this to say I read something last night in one of the books I picked up that says (in a nut shell) it's not all that important that you understand all of the technical physics of helo flight but that you believe it is true.

do you agree? I'm interested in all ya'lls opinion.

in my humble opinion, it all boils down to your thirst for knowledge,,,,

knowing just enough to get by & keep you safe is OK <_<

having a well pressed pair of smartie-pants on? well that is ok too :o

If you're planning on going on to cfi or even comm. you need to know your stuff, period. Even the bare basics of a private check ride involves more than stumbling around aerodynamics. If an examiner thinks you dont know your stuff he WILL fail you.

I tend to disagree with pokey on this point: the bare basics to keep you safe will only keep you barely basically safe. If you dont completely understand whats happening in an LTE or retreating blade stall situation you'll misdiagnose whats going on and be in big trouble in no time.

Stick with it. It'll start to sink in. And if your instructor is worth his salt he wont sign you off for a checkride 'till you've got it down.

P.S. Ditch the pillow talk....its a cushion.

Learn the aerodynamics and understand it. Most pilots starting out will have to find their way trough working as a cfi. If you have a good understanding of the material being thought, you will also be in a better position to teach others. You will be able to explain things in ways that anyone can understand. Also if you are out flying, experiencing retreating blade stall, performing autorotations, or any other maneuver, it is in fact important that you know what is going on. It will improve you’re reactions to outside input. And make you capable of better (ADM) Aeronautical Decision Making, and increase you’re (SA) Situational Awareness. Good luck.

Guest rookie101

Jocko, if you have not read Principles of Helicopter Flight you should. It goes into great detail about flying helicopters (obviously), but also helps explain the physics of it through word and illustration. A book I HIGHLY recommend.

If I may, trying to understand the physics as if you were an MIT professor is pointless. Basically if you can understand the basic principals of flight-Bernoulli, coriolius, spinning things and the big bang theory inside an engine-then you have pretty much mastered more than that pilot sitting next to you who flies a J-3. If a pillow of air makes sense to you, then use it. Especially in ground effect.

If these things are making your tonsils erupt, try a different approach. Now this may sound insulting but I don't mean it that way. Try some of those childrens books that explain how things work. I know it sounds stupid but often those books can explain something better than an FAA manual. Try it.

If that doesn't work, watch "Airplane" and get your mind off this crap.

Later

I tend to disagree with pokey on this point: the bare basics to keep you safe will only keep you barely basically safe. If you dont completely understand whats happening in an LTE or retreating blade stall situation you'll misdiagnose whats going on and be in big trouble in no time.

Dis-agreement is what makes the world interesting, HECK ! i even dis-agree w/ myself at times. :blink: Altho i didnt mean to come across as the old saying goes: "one knows just enought to be dangerous" what i meant was, being able to recite & explain the theory of relativity & advanced stuff like that? fine, but its not really necessary to understand how to fly safely.

Does being a mechanic & knowing the innner workings of the helicopter make you a better/safer pilot? I kind of tend to say yes, altho not everyone likes turning wrenches.