Helicopter namegiving.

flyby_heli

Thought it would be interesting to see if any of you guys know what makes the different helicopter producers choose the names they do for their models.

I know, i know.....they have to be called something. But there has got to be a reason they mainly use numbers and not the much "cooler" names the military branches give them (Sea Stallion sounds better than S-65). A couple of producers have given their models "real names", Westland has their Scout, Wasp and Lynx among others, but for the most part numbers are more common.

I know that Eurocopter has a special "code" behind their names:

First digit:

1= Civil model

1+5=6 = Military

1+1=2 = Civil model greater than 10 tons

Second Digit:

Maximum takeoff weight in tons is less than this number. When greater then 10 tons they add 1 to the first digit.

Third Digit:

0= Single engine

5= Multi engine

So EC-145 would be a civil model, takeoff weight 4 tons or less, with more than one engine. Makes sense!!

Also seems Bell has a certain code. All their two bladed models start with the number 2 (206, 212, 222 etc.) and their four bladed models start with 4 (407, 412, 430 etc).

Anyone know what the rest of the digits stand for?

Also if you know the reasons behind other factories (Schweizer/Hughes, Robinson, Agusta, Kamov, Mil, MD, Sikorsky, Enstrom, Brantly, Hiller, Kaman. etc) choice of names it would be interesting to hear.

Flyby

The 269 series got its number because they were 269 inches from tip to tip of the main & tail rotors. ( they have since been given longer blades tho) The 300 is a 269 with a 3-place cabin.

I can give you a couple designations. When bell stole the Idea of putting a Rolls Royce C-30 engine into a 222 airframe (which was originally done by a little known company in Broussard, La.) they called it the 230. That initially carried over to the 4 bladed version of the 430, but R.R. had come out with the C40 engine which is currently used in that model. The bell 407 (to my knowlege) came from the 206L4 powertrain design, but the fuselage was so extensively modified that the FAA would not let them certify it under the 206 Type Certificate (although the powertrain is the same). Which brings me to the Agusta 109"E" Power!! That helicopter is so unlike it's predecessors, how the hell did the Italians pull that off ? I mean the PW206 engine (over 1000shp) in that thing can pull the guts out of the Xmsn on one engine, (and it has two) and the airframes are no where like the first A's & C models!!!

As far as Eurocopter (aka. Aerospatiale) the AS350 was named after it was first flown, the pilots thusly named it the "Eccurial" (spelling?) which in French means "Squirel". Then they added an engine and called it the "Squirel II"... go figure.

Anyway, all Turmo Mecca engines are named after French mountains, all Army helicopters are named after Indian Tribes or Chiefs, (add known facts here:)_________________________________________________

This is a very interesting topic. And if anyone has more to add (or call B.S. on me), lets hear it.

Sincerely, aka. Space Cadet,Spacer, Wingnut, Rotornut. Ex. PHI,Energy,Omniflight, DTR Heli Inc....

Quote of the day: If it don't shake, rattle, and roll (A.P. instability) you are flying my Helicopter !!

I cant take credit for this one, but i remember seeing it by a poster on this forum ( i would give credit where credit is due---but getting old & CRS is setting in) :(

"the R22-----because that's all it takes to shoot one down" :lol:

The R-22 was given the -22 designation because it was originally supposed to cost $22,000, when it was first produced in the late '70s. From what I remember the first R22 sold for around $26-28k, so Frank Robinson didn't quite keep it cheap enough to make his goal.

Eurocopters are named after animals: Squirrel, Cougar, Panther, Lama, Gazzelle, Puma, Tiger, Alouette(Lark), Colibri (Hummingbird), Merlin, Frelon (Hornet), etc.

I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to Bell's numbering system other than the first digit is the number of blades. All the World's Rotorcraft has a good list of Bell products, including the model numbers of machines that aren't traditionally used (i.e. a Bell 209 is an AH-1, 406 is an OH-58D, etc.)

I cant take credit for this one, but i remember seeing it by a poster on this forum ( i would give credit where credit is due---but getting old & CRS is setting in) :(

"the R22-----because that's all it takes to shoot one down" :lol:

I thought it was the average age of the pilots that crashed them !

Bell isn't as organized in their model numbers. In the 1960s the models were moving sequentially 204 (UH-1A/B/C), 205 (UH-1D), 206 (OH-58A/C, JetRanger), 207 (Sioux Scout), 208 , 209 (AH-1 Cobra), 210 (UH-1H), 212 (UH-1N), 222

All these models are two-bladed designs in historical sequence.

With the introduction of the OH-58D (406) the designations began to change. The 2 or 4 as the first number generally represents the number of blades of the rotor. The 212, 222 and 412 are twin engines. But they are the last models to designate the number of engines in the last position.

407 - 4-bladed, single

427 - 4-bladed, twin

429 - 4-bladed, twin (you'd think this would be an AH-1 derivative like the AH-1Z, but it is a 206/407 derivative)

417 - 4-bladed, single

430 - 4-bladed, twin (4-bladed version of the 230)

I'm not sure how Bell will adjust to the next model series, since they seem to be running out of digit places.

Urban myth...perpetuated by the National Air & Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institute? If it was Wikipedia, I might agree with you.

By 1945, the Model 30 demonstrator could fly and carry enough payload capacity to encourage Bell to proceed with a larger, commercial version called the Model 42. Backed by the Model 30's success and flashy styling, the Model 42 seemed destined to win production orders but it failed completely after company politics choked the design process. The senior staff at Bell resented Arthur Young's lack of formal training and ignored his inputs. This led to poor engineering decisions and shoddy quality control during production. Larry Bell also misread the market for the Model 42 and aimed the aircraft at private pilots and their families. In reality, the postwar market for the helicopter was developing around commercial operators, not private citizens, who would pay to use the unique capabilities helicopters offered.

Bell decided to step back and rethink his approach. He chose to refine the Model 30 design, install a more powerful engine and side-by-side seating for two. One of the most successful helicopter designs of the twentieth century resulted from these critical design adjustments. Bell called it the Model 47 for the year he introduced it. It was the first helicopter designed exclusively for the civil market rather than military customers and he sold two versions. The stylish coupe model was once more aimed at private owners but again it did not sell.

--Bell Model 47, National Air & Space Museum

And in discussion of the Bell Model 30:
By war's end, Bell was ready to begin production of a new design, designated the Model 42. This luxury sedan of the skies proved to be a dismal failure. While Young and Kelly were working on theoretical studies, Bell's production engineers, whose experience was limited to airplanes, worked on the design of the Model 42. Their inexperience resulted in an unreliable and under-powered aircraft that was priced well beyond the reach of most private citizens. The only hope for Bell's future in the helicopter industry was to put the Model 30 Ship 3 into production as a military and commercial utility helicopter. This decision resulted in the Model 47, which became the world's first commercially certified helicopter on March 8, 1946.

Ironically, the same military contracts that Larry Bell did not want to depend on in the post-war marketplace were the salvation of the company's financial success, and established it as a leading helicopter manufacturer. The superb Model 47 did not fare much better than the Model 42 when it first appeared, largely because the value of the helicopter to the business community had not been established by Bell and other manufacturers, who had instead focused their efforts on private users. As the military's Sikorsky R-6s began to wear out, a search began for a new liaison and light medevac helicopter. The Model 47 was chosen over the similar Hiller Model 360, and a short time later, established a sterling reputation as a flying ambulance in Korea. After the Model 47 gained notoriety in Korea and in demonstrations of industrial applications, the type became an outstanding success, with a total of 5,000 sold to military and commercial users.

--Bell Model 30, National Air & Space Museum

So, it seems that the Bell Model 30 Ship 3 was reconfigured, certificated, and renamed. What is your source for the order they occurred?

The FAA issued its first helicopter type certificate (H-1) to Bell Helicopters for the Model 47 in March of 1946 beating Sikorsky to that landmark by one month. Sikorsky was issued the second FAA helicopter type certificate (H-2) for the S-51 in April of 1946. You can look up the type certificates on the FAA website.

This quote was in one of the articles that you posted.

"This decision resulted in the Model 47, which became the world's first commercially certified helicopter on March 8, 1946."

Actually, the helicopter was certificated by the CAA in March 1946 (FAA didn't exist until 1958). And again, there have been several revisions of that document (41st is current), although it lists May 1946 (which comes AFTER April). What is not clear is whether Larry Bell anticipated that the 47 would be in production and introduced into the market in 1947 (which it was) when he designated it Model 47. The article is full of inferences that Bell's decisions were often driven by market survey.

I have introduced what I believe to be a reputable source. Again, my question is, what is your source for when and why it was called Model 47?

The bell 407 (to my knowlege) came from the 206L4 powertrain design, but the fuselage was so extensively modified that the FAA would not let them certify it under the 206 Type Certificate (although the powertrain is the same).

The 206, 206A, 206A-1, 206B, 206B-1, 206L, 206L-1, 206L-3, 206L-4, and 407 are all on the same Type Certificate.

206A is the Jet Ranger

206A-1 is the OH-58A/C

206B is the Jet Ranger II

206B-1 is the Jet Ranger III

• 9 months later...