LAPD AIRSUPPORT UNIT

rotor91

Today is the 50th Anniversary of the LAPD Air Support Unit in Los Angeles! They started with a Hiller 12, just to partol the freeways for aleaving traffic woes. They've come along way since, eh! Largest police air support unit in the world.

I think seeing Blue Thunder, and LAPD flying the 206's in that movie, was the start of the dream of actually flying helicopters!

THANKS LAPD!

R91

Today is the 50th Anniversary of the LAPD Air Support Unit in Los Angeles! They started with a Hiller 12, just to partol the freeways for aleaving traffic woes. They've come along way since, eh! Largest police air support unit in the world.

I think seeing Blue Thunder, and LAPD flying the 206's in that movie, was the start of the dream of actually flying helicopters!

THANKS LAPD!

R91

Rob, funny you should mention Blue Thunder...I just threw in the DVD last week and watched it again for the millionth time ! I remember working in downtown LA when they were filming it...back around 1983 or so...lot of fun watching the birds flying thru LA.

I know we have a few LASD pilots on this forum...I wonder if we have any LAPD pilots around ?

Edited by Goldy

I would just like to add that I fly a G-2 N5167B that was purchased and flown by LAPD and have original logbook entry's from the dept. lots of history with that bird....Need to cheak but I beleive it was bought new from Bell about 50 Years ago...

Poppa- I'd say everyone got their money's worth with a 50 year old bird ! Its time to retire it for good ! I will even make room in my driveway if you need a place to store it....I love the ol B 47 ! BTW, I know the secret warehouse location of another very old LAFD B 47 city bird....I'm trying to get them to put it out on static display for all to see..