What do I do?

Chuck Potts

Hi everyone, I am a new guy here and have found this forum to be very interesting. So, I thought that I would pose my situation here and ask for some advice. I have been kicking around aviation for 20+ years and most of my flying has been fixed wing. I would really like to do more rotor wing flying. I have 7000 hours total time but only 500 hours rotor wing. I have my CFI helo and most of my 500 hours is flight instruction given. I have never had a full time job as a rotor wing CFI. It has all been done with a little here and a little there as an independant CFI. I am having a hard time finding someone to pick me up as a CFI or some other kind of a job. I have tried to make a deal with some flight schools by trying to do a trade for an instrument and CFIH rating but nothing seems to work. I am willing to travel anywhere. So, what do I do? Is it worth it to just go buy an instrument rating? Also, I do have an A&P/IA.

Your Friend, "The Hoverbug"

Hi everyone, I am a new guy here and have found this forum to be very interesting. So, I thought that I would pose my situation here and ask for some advice. I have been kicking around aviation for 20+ years and most of my flying has been fixed wing. I would really like to do more rotor wing flying. I have 7000 hours total time but only 500 hours rotor wing. I have my CFI helo and most of my 500 hours is flight instruction given. I have never had a full time job as a rotor wing CFI. It has all been done with a little here and a little there as an independant CFI. I am having a hard time finding someone to pick me up as a CFI or some other kind of a job. I have tried to make a deal with some flight schools by trying to do a trade for an instrument and CFIH rating but nothing seems to work. I am willing to travel anywhere. So, what do I do? Is it worth it to just go buy an instrument rating? Also, I do have an A&P/IA.

Chuck,

I have ran into the same problem in the past. I think you have two things against you. First, you have a good deal of experience, and you probably won't stick around making $20 an hour for very long. Second, is that you are trying to become a CFI at a school at which you did not train. Schools like to hire CFI's they train. Not always the best for teaching because the same bad habits get passed on down the line, but it is good for student loyalty if they believe they have a job afterwards.

You might want to advertise yourself out as an experienced CFI in the local paper and see if you find anyone who wants to buy a helicopter and then lease it back to you so you can start your own training operation. I did this for a couple years. It was a pain because the owners always wanted their helicopter on a whim, but I was able to make a good living without working my butt off.

Good luck to you.

CJ

Chuck,

I have ran into the same problem in the past. I think you have two things against you. First, you have a good deal of experience, and you probably won't stick around making $20 an hour for very long. Second, is that you are trying to become a CFI at a school at which you did not train. Schools like to hire CFI's they train. Not always the best for teaching because the same bad habits get passed on down the line, but it is good for student loyalty if they believe they have a job afterwards.

You might want to advertise yourself out as an experienced CFI in the local paper and see if you find anyone who wants to buy a helicopter and then lease it back to you so you can start your own training operation. I did this for a couple years. It was a pain because the owners always wanted their helicopter on a whim, but I was able to make a good living without working my butt off.

Good luck to you.

CJ

Thanks for your reply. That is what I have been doing for many years, now. I was just looking for something that had a more reliable paycheck.