Rotorway EXEC162F vs. Robinson R-22

Hi,

I'm just getting ready to begin my helicopter training at Hillsboro Aviation INC. and I was wondering if anyone here has went from a R-22 to a Rotorway experimental or vice versa.

I've flown with a friend in his rotorway and have learned to hover and some altitude flying, the biggest change I can see other than the T-bar cyclic is the fact that the rotors spin the other direction.

Also I was wondering just exactly how the governor works? As the Rotorway doesn’t have one.

Thanks,

Garrett

Governor in the R-22 is easy. Turn it on with switch on collective. Once RPM's are 80% or higher it keeps RPM's in the green. You can override it by holding the throttle on the collective.

That will be nice in the Rotorway your always chasing the needles, espicially on those really hot days...

• 1 month later...
That will be nice in the Rotorway your always chasing the needles, espicially on those really hot days...

Hello to all,

I integrated a governor system based on the R22 governor system and actuator into my Rotorway. It works perfectly! I modified the electronics to suit the RW engine signals.

see http://users.pandora.be/helicopter (click on governor) for more info.

Nice bird ya have there.

One question; What country starts with "F"?

Later

Yes, best looking 162 ship I have ever seen....now if you could just modify the tail rotor drive....slip in a driveshaft !!

I have flown both and I enjoy flying either one. If you are transitioning from a Rotorway to a R22 you will probably find the controls a little more sensitive just because of the way that they are set up. The inputs will be about the same but the control friction seems to be less on the R22. The rotorway has a little more rotor inertia and the pitch horns are set up at ninety degrees. The R22 pith horns are set up at 78 degrees I believe. This give a slightly different feel when hovering. Treat the t-bar handle just like the stick in the 162F and you will do ok. Just remember, keep your eyes on the horizon and keep your attitude level and you will be able to hover just fine.

The difference in the rotor direction does not pose much of a problem. The only time it was an issue for me was in the first few hours while doing entries to the autorotation. This probably wont be a problem for you since it doesn't sound like you have done any auto's in the 162F.

Thank you guys,

Yes, F stands for France, and P for kit built. First 15 hours are flight testing hours with minimal 50 t/o and landings. The registration is then F-Wxxx, after those successful hours it becomes F-Pxxx. In france, there are about 30 Rotorways now with 17 who are currently flying. The others are still under construction or near completion. In Belgium, there are 4 to 5 Rotorways.

The direction of the rotor has no importance. If the heli jaws left, press right pedal and vice-versa.

Xavier