"Free" flight training

It won't be an easy process, the slots are still highly competitive. Your rich Uncle Sam wants to pay for your flight training, and employ you afterwards.

Without the BS: The Army, and perhaps other services, need pilots. Yep, you'll be seeing service overseas. The rumors I'm hearing are that high school to flight school is a doable proposition, again, and the formal limit for application is 35(?).

"...and the formal limit for application is 35(?)."

Wally,

When you say the "limit for application is 35", is that 35 years of age or something else I'm being dense about? I've ALWAYS wanted to be a part of Army Aviation. I met numerous times with recruiters just before graduating high school. However, I didn't have perfect vision. They strung me along for a while until I pinned 'em down and they admitted that I probably wouldn't be able to fly. They've relatively recently changed that requirement but now I'm up against the "age limits". Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the current requirements were application and all supporting materials submitted by age 29, interview by 30. I'm currently 31, and likely wouldn't be able to apply until I was 32. If the requirements are now 35, that's no problem, but if they are still the 29/30, is age something that is "waivalbe".

Thanks all!

-V5

Wally,

When you say the "limit for application is 35", is that 35 years of age or something else I'm being dense about? I've ALWAYS wanted to be a part of Army Aviation. I met numerous times with recruiters just before graduating high school. However, I didn't have perfect vision. They strung me along for a while until I pinned 'em down and they admitted that I probably wouldn't be able to fly. They've relatively recently changed that requirement but now I'm up against the "age limits". Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the current requirements were application and all supporting materials submitted by age 29, interview by 30. I'm currently 31, and likely wouldn't be able to apply until I was 32. If the requirements are now 35, that's no problem, but if they are still the 29/30, is age something that is "waivalbe".

Thanks all!

-V5

Looks like it's 33:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

"STEP 3: Determine the Warrant Officer (WO) Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) for which you might be qualified. The most common MOS that personnel from other services are eligible to apply for is 153A (Aviator) because this MOS requires no prior skills or training. For this MOS you must be less than 33 years of age by the convene date of the board (or request a waiver) and have 20/50 distant visual acuity, correctable with spectacles to 20/20, also note there is an Aeromedical refractive error exception to policy (LASIK/PRK information). All other Warrant Officer (WO) Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs) require you to be at least pay grade E5 or higher with 4-6 years experience in a skill that is closely associated with a WO MOS. Review the Prerequisites and Duty Descriptions part of this web site to determine if you are doing very similar work to one of the WO MOSs.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/WO153A.html

* Be at least 18, but not have reached their 33rd birthday at the convening of the selection board

"Waivers will be considered for applicants with exceptional qualifications and only on a case by case basis".

Edited by klas

Thank you Klas! That's GREAT news!

I just put two-and-two together and I think I've been getting my information for the wrong website. I take it www.usarmyaviation.com is NOT the official US Army Aviation website after seeing the .mil address you provided. Ahh, I knew it didn't look quite right. That site also comes up first on a Google search (so others beware) but here is what it stated in the "Aspiring Pilots" link:

"Any MOS may apply

Be at least 18, but not have reached their 29th birthday at the convening of the selection board

Not have exceeded the age of 30 upon beginning of flight training"

Having ZERO military experience I find the "official" army website difficult to navigate, read, and understand with all the lingo and acronyms in terms of the Aviation wing (sorry for the pun). For someone who knows basically nothing about the workings of Army Aviation, and is starting from scratch, can anyone recommend some first steps to take? For example, I see the checklist of what one needs to put together to apply but take the medical qualification. I have my medical for the flight training I've been doing but does that qualify? Do I need to get the medical from an Army physician?

Looks like I've got a lot of homework to do but any help from the Army Aviators out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-V5

Thanks Slick, but I haven't read anything good about recruiters and Army Aviation on the posts here (and from my own experiences). After all, they work on a quota system. And plus, I'd like to arm myself with a little more information before I sat down with a recruiter--you know, that whole "make a good first impression" thing...

Thanks again everyone,

-V5

"...and have 20/50 distant visual acuity, correctable with spectacles to 20/20, also note there is an Aeromedical refractive error exception to policy (LASIK/PRK information)."

Klass (or anyone),

Can you clarify the above statement for me, please. Does that mean sugically corrected (LASIK) vision is allowed or not allowed?

-V5

i heard, if you want to fly fighter jets that is, for the AF you must have natural 20/20. i think it was something having to do with the high pressures and high altitudes they experience which makes lasik unsafe. so i don't know if they're the same or not for helicopters. but from what i understand, as long as you vision is corrected to 20/20, as far as that quotation goes, you're good to go. be it lasik, glasses, contacts, whatever.

I hope I'm not making a faux pas by recommending another forum, but Military.com's Army Aviation Forum is a fantastic resource for all things related to, well, Army Aviation, especially the application/selection process: http://forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/3241924461. The forum is filled with current Army pilots, as well as people who have recently gone through/are going trough the application process. You'll find loads of information, encouragement and frankness.

Make sure you use the search function before posting questions. Chances are, almost any question you want to ask has already been answered. I browsed through all the posts first, and I would recommend doing the same (especially the pinned one at the top, "Warrant Officer Flight Program)

<z />

Hey all,

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but does anyone know FOR SURE if corrective eye/vision surgery is acceptable (or not) to become an Army Aviator? I find the statements on the Army website obtuse and I can interpret it either way. I have also found conflicting information in old posts here and elsewhere.

Thanks again,

-V5

Hey all,

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but does anyone know FOR SURE if corrective eye/vision surgery is acceptable (or not) to become an Army Aviator? I find the statements on the Army website obtuse and I can interpret it either way. I have also found conflicting information in old posts here and elsewhere.

Thanks again,

-V5

By going through the links I provided above, it refers you to:

http://www.usaarl.army.mil/PRKLASIK/Refrac...rgery%20APL.pdf

"LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis), LASEK (Laser Subepithelial Keratomileusis), and PRK (Photo Refractive Keratectomy) are now aeromedically acceptable provided the post-surgical outcome meets standards IAW the current Corneal Refractive Surgery APL, revised December 2005."

Edited by klas

By going through the links I provided above, it refers you to:

http://www.usaarl.army.mil/PRKLASIK/Refrac...rgery%20APL.pdf

"LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis), LASEK (Laser Subepithelial Keratomileusis), and PRK (Photo Refractive Keratectomy) are now aeromedically acceptable provided the post-surgical outcome meets standards IAW the current Corneal Refractive Surgery APL, revised December 2005."

Thank You, Klas!

You're right. I saw this link you are talking about but for some reason wasn't able to open it from within the Army website. You're link worked just fine! That pretty much clears things up!

Thanks for all your help and patience, Klas!

-V5

Thank You, Klas!

You're right. I saw this link you are talking about but for some reason wasn't able to open it from within the Army website. You're link worked just fine! That pretty much clears things up!

Thanks for all your help and patience, Klas!

-V5

No problem...

Hey buddy...I am currently going through the 'street to seat' program for the Army as well. First of all the MOST important thing you need to know..is that in the beginning you RECRUITER is EVERYTHING. You need to realize that the WOFT process is by far the most complicated of enlisting...and is also EXTREMELY rare. Most recruiters have absolutely no idea what it is..and when they find out...they will not help you how they should(for the most part). They get no additional credit for putting you through than they would putting someone who takes about a week to put through. You need to go from recruiter to recruiter and determine which one is the most honest and doesnt try to pursuade you to go another route with the Army. It will also help you to know absolutely everything about the WOFT program before you go into a recruiting office. Btw yes eye surgery is allowed you just need a waiver. Also...you dang sure better hurry...age is an extremely important factor. Approval after the age limit is around 2% I believe. Do not slack...do not think..just DO. lol. I sat on the internet for about two years trying to decide whether or not i COULD...but now im finally doing something about it and the process is long and very demanding...they want to see if you have what it takes before they even approve you:)

hope this helps a bit

Josh Royse