Fun ride today.

I had to take a ride in an S-76C+ today. I have to admit I was hoping for a light twin so I could sit up front but now I am glad it didn't happen. The C+ has a great autopilot that was fun to watch in action, although a little erie to be watching the collective move up and down all by itself. Automatic climbs, descents, and of course 165 knot cruise speed. I had to think twice when I noticed the pilots were doing things with their hands that would not be conducive to straight and level flight, had the ship not been under control of the autopilot that is.

It just solidified that my intentions to be flying for a living and not driving boats. Now if I could just get below 240 (5lbs to go...)

Edited by klmmarine

Ummmm... the S76 does not cruise at 165 knots. Vne is 155, decreasing with altitude. Maybe 165 knots groundspeed, which isn't at all unusual, and I've seen 200+. The C+ is a joy to fly, though, especially IFR. Even the A model is a very stable instrument platform, but the glass cockpit makes things very easy, if you can remember all the stuff you have to get set up. Physically it's very easy, mentally it can be a challenge.

Ummmm... the S76 does not cruise at 165 knots. Vne is 155, decreasing with altitude. Maybe 165 knots groundspeed, which isn't at all unusual, and I've seen 200+. The C+ is a joy to fly, though, especially IFR. Even the A model is a very stable instrument platform, but the glass cockpit makes things very easy, if you can remember all the stuff you have to get set up. Physically it's very easy, mentally it can be a challenge.

They had the auto pilot set at 145 knots and we had a tailwind so our SOG was 160-165, although on one descent I noticed blinking red airspeed at 156 knots. Thanks for spotting that Gomer.

I second Gomer's words.

Just (literally 10 minutes ago) walked in after shift. IFR flight in moderate chop, cloud base at 400, ATC climbed us to 7000, then ILS at 145kts fullly coupled. Save for beeping the autopilot for desired VS and airspeed my hands didn't touch the controls from departure climbout to heliport landing!

It is a really nice IFR platform, but as mentioned, not the aircraft you want to get behind. Autopilot is like a little kid. Gotto watch him all the time. George has been known to do his own things at times.

Joker

Yeah - you can tell Keith is a boat guy - he said "SOG" for speed over ground rather than "GS"! :D

Kevin (by the way - what is it about your name?????? People have called me Keith all my life......... but I don't care as long as they don't call me "late for dinner"! :P

Yeah - you can tell Keith is a boat guy - he said "SOG" for speed over ground rather than "GS"! :D

Kevin (by the way - what is it about your name?????? People have called me Keith all my life......... but I don't care as long as they don't call me "late for dinner"! :P

Started training not too long ago. It will take a while to get the Sea terms out of my vocab.

That is funny Kevin, I am always getting called by your name. Maybe we were switched at birth, and everyone knows but us! :P

Edited by klmmarine