Flying at Night

Rachel

Don't let yourself focus on objects too close the helicopter when hovering. Keep looking to that proverbial distant "horizon" like you do during the day; despite the lack visibility. You will hover much better, and you will be more comfortable too.

Egads!

It's a lot smoother air at night. Try following the roads because the dark areas are a little unnerving. This way you have a reference of the ground.

Cruise with the landing light on and try keeping the spot on one car. It can be a fun game, especially on a curvy road.

Have the runway lights on medium. I think you might be able to see better that way. Also, turn your landing light off before you cross the threshold. This way the light doesn't blind you.

If you leave the light on, then as you come to touch down, it'll seem as if you're going forward but you'll actually go backward. Watch for this.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the flight. It's wonderful.

Later

Wow, I totally agree with Witch..

Best flying ever, you can see other aircraft for miles if the sky is clear......really beautiful and fun flying..and surprising how bright everything is if you are over the city lights. If you're out in the country somewhere, please add me to your list of beneficiaries !

Watch for carb ice with the cooler temps if youre in a bird subject to such things ( ok....R22)

Fly safe and have fun..Goldy

Flying at night is the one time when I fly that I feel like I'm playing MS Flight Simulator. I love the way it looks at night. Stay near the lights and away from the dark spots. Increase your normal flying altitude a bit. Have fun.

Cruise with the landing light on and try keeping the spot on one car. It can be a fun game, especially on a curvy road.

Witch,

In our neck of the woods, keeping a spotlight on a car would not be a good idea. All it takes is one motorist to bitch. Or better yet, the Police Air unit or Sheriff helicopter see that and... well, you prob know the rest.

When I fly at night, I will sometimes switch the landing light on and off when over a dark area, but then only for a few seconds.

Any LEO's want to chime in??

Paul

That's why we don't do that in your neck of the woods.:D

It's not sonething you do at 100'agl, but at about 500' The cars probably don't notice or think it's a police bird. If someone does call, more than likely nothing will be done.

Landing on a train on the other hand...

Later

I haven't flown at night yet, does anyone have any night-flying strategies?

Don't go where you can't see, especially a VFR pilot in a VFR bird. Even if you can see, be very careful if it looks even a little darker ahead, unless you can distinctly make out the other side- DISTINCTLY. Treat dark areas like ridge lines, and approach at as shallow an angle as possible. It's easier to make slight turn to better weather than a 180. You might even get wisps, etc., while the good conditions prevail, making avoidance a lot less stressful.

Fly higher than anything in your immediate area. It's a shock to see how many towers are NOTAMed for illumination. You can't see them or their guy wires, so stay away or stay above them.

Learn how to SEE at night. Respect and preserve your night vision.

Night weather trends toward stability, look at WX trends carefully and your temp/dewpoint spread in particular.

Steep approaches, careful slow hovers, and peripheral vision! Peripheral vision is especially valuable at night.

Fly neighborly.

My opinion, the best conditions for night introductory flights is a day or so after a good cold front, clear skies and no moon. Flying doesn't get any more beautiful.

Edited by Wally

What about getting “rear ended” right as you level the skids? If you land against traffic the 18 wheeler might swerve out of your way; that is if the trucker sees the landing light. :unsure:

I myself would prefer to land in the median or in the ditch on either side of the road, avoiding the traffic all together :blink:

My opinion-

Autorotational airspeeds are just about slow Interstate cruise velocity, so you'll effectively drop straight down into the drivers' sight, right onto somebody's front bumper, if you land with traffic. Landing against the flow, they can at least see you.

On the the other hand, there's the "Dustoff" theory that says put as much of the machine as you can between you and hostile fire, and it's a combat zone on Atlanta area interstates. If I have to take a hit, let'em eat tail rotor first (Or keep their eyes open- Yeah, that's gonna happen.). Lots of metal to crush between me and it.

The median's better.

Edited by Wally

I like to fly at night, special during the christmas time. Very peaceful. If you go for the first time, check the route first during daylight, try to follow this route during the night.

i hope you will have fun and enjoy your trip

Guest pokey

in my fixed wing training days AND my helicopter training days i was asked this same question, after some discussion,,,, the answer that was 'more' correct was always land with traffic. as for the light? it had its OWN answer. Look at it this way:

landing against traffic----ya get smashed AND run over, :o :o vs with, ya 'usually' only get run over :o

as far as the landing light?---- turn it ON, :) if ya dont like what ya see? turn it back off :blink:

the thing about the median? picture a bridge coming up,,,, i wud rather slide under it in the traffic lanes than hit the concrete that is in the median. B)

then there is always the empty flatbed truck ! :D ( but w/MY luck its headed in opposite direction) :angry:

then there is always that train B) right witch?

I myself would prefer to land in the median or in the ditch on either side of the road, avoiding the traffic all together :blink:

The median, and ditch invite a roll over situation. I was on a 2 hour night cross country recently, and opted to fly down a busy intersate to reach my destination. with an extra 1000 ft of air between me and the ground I was always looking for a place to set down other then the interstate. With or against the traffic it's a crap shoot, give me a good ole walmart parking lot any day. :blink:

Folks,

There are a number of factors of course.

No one here has mentioned wind!

The median? Have you seen them? Usually they are huge ditches or filled with concrete stubs or long grass.

It also depends how busy the road is.

I would favour my chances with the traffic, and attpemt to slide off the road to either edge once at lower speed. So my alignment would be slightly across the lane.

As the gap is moving at about 60-70 kts, trying to pick a gap in the traffic when going against it, is essentially trying to hit / judge your auto at 120kts (w.r.t. the gap). Very dififficult.

At the end of the day, you'll do what you have to do! You'll do what you can do to get down to terra firma.

Joker

I haven't flown at night yet, does anyone have any night-flying strategies?

Back to the original question.

Cross-countries

• Have a variable brightness or dim red torch. (Flashlight). Also, you need a good strong (but light) torch. This is for pre and post-flight inspections.

• Organise your self in the cockpit a little better with your charts and frequencies etc..etc..

• Don't plan your route based on lakes and things you won't be able to see. Use towers, airport beacons, lighted areas more.

• Be extra vigilant about the weather...

• Try to give eyes time to accomodate before going out.

• Use PCL (Pilot Controlled Lighting) to help you find airports. Just remember though that others may be using the airport as you mess with the light setting. I hated it when I'd be working local, just on final, and some goon 9 miles away steps up the lights to full, just to find the field!

• Cross reference instruments much. Speed and altitude are difficult to judge.

• Tempereature is a little less at night, so ensure you are going to be warm enough.

• Stick to the center of taxiways and runways. Don't try to cut corners.

Well, we could go on and on.

Joker

Edited by joker

The good thing about night is that those photons from the sun aren't beaming down onto the top of the blades and destroying lift. Some say dark air has no lift, but they're wrong. The photons are still coming from the sun, but they bend around the earth and hit the blades from the bottom, increasing lift.

Night can be wonderful, and it can be terrifying, depending on the situation. In general, I like flying at night, but not always. Some of us sometimes get scared of the dark. :)

The only advice I have is to concentrate, all the time. Things can sneak up on you when you aren't looking, especially when you can't even see them coming in the dark. Pay attention.