who has the best deal

Helihead

Bud, I just pass on the whole turbine tranisition/flight training idea. If you are going to get your magic 1000 hours as a CFI, it would best you have a load of time in training aircraft (R22/300). There are many operators that are hiring the 1000 hour CFIs without a minute of turbine time. Currently, there is a large number in the GOM I understand many of the tour operators flying the ditch hire 1000 hour guys. The 1000 hour mark is really the qualifier, not having turbine time.

Now, on the other hand, if you are paying $280-300 per hour on an aircraft, and after some investigation think that you could get on as a CFI there, the Marpat gig looks pretty good. I only say that because I'd much rather train and teach in an Alouette than a Robbie anytime. My .02 anyway.

Go to the nearest metropolitan city. Contact the operator of the largest TV/Radio station helicopter operation in town. Most let you fly second seat and book the time for around $150 an hour..and its turbine time (see Rotor 91 posts)..

Thats the cheapest deal in town. Downside, you dont control the timing...usually during the workday..

About they turbine thing. I would agree that you dont Need a minute of turbine time to get hired on at most places, BUT two of the four GOM operators told guys I know that they got call backs because of their turbine time (5-25 hours). And I have two friends working the ditch that both got jobs ahead of others with more total time because of their turbine time. I will quallify this by saying again, you dont need turbine time or a turbine transition, But it will help put you resume at the top of the pile. Just look at how things have gone over the last 10-15 years. CFI (no instrument) use to get you a job with the hrs requirment, then employers wanted and instrument, now it really helps if you have a CFII with 100-300 hrs of instrument instruction given. I would guess that it is only a matter of time before employers want to seen a few hours of turbine time as well.

Fly safe

BEN

P.S. Not sure but I think the Marpat guys had their turbine ship go down. Everyone safe but ship out of order.