VR's Biggest Loser

bqmassey

Inspired by the Pilot Health thread, I'd like to know if any of you would be interested in a The Biggest Loser type fitness competition?

Most people could stand to loose a little weight. For pilots, it's especially important. It is a general consensus among nutritionists and trainers that having a partner or partners in your efforts--someone that will hold you accountable--increases fitness program success. Hopefully some of you agree!

My personal goal is to lose 25lbs of body fat by my first helicopter lesson, which should be in mid to late August. That's about 12% of my current total weight.

Anyone else willing to play along? If so, I could put up a website where we can post our progress weekly and see how each other are doing.

If you think you could stand to lose a few lbs, consider playing! It's a brand new month. the weather is getting nicer. Winter hibernation is about to come to an end. There's no better time than the present!

In the interest of getting below that 240lb seat weight I have lost 30lbs since mid-Feb. 265-235. Nothing like the lure of the sky for motivation, I am looking forward to constantly lower numbers when I get on that scale

I stopped eating fast-food of any kind for good yesterday, that counts as a start right? Im only at 170 but I'm 22 years old at 6', so I could use a trim up myself. Im thinking about 10-15 should be fine.

Edited by doanut99

Geez guys, at 5'5 and 125 I have a whole other set of problems! Mostly worrying if I'm going to freak myself out solo, without my 200lb instructor in the left seat, or being prepared for loss of hydraulics in bigger machines down the road. I can't solve that by eating MORE! At least I don't have to worry about running out of power...plenty to spare at my size! Well, good luck to you all in your quest for the magic number. It's worth it, the R22 is a little gem, I love it. Just think of me and remember the grass is always greener! :lol:

I just lost 24 lbs. since January...unfortunately...health was not the motivator (neither was flight weight, cause the Schz.300 can handle it)...it was an office wager between 7 of us and we had a "hefty" fine unless we lost 10% of our body-weight in 4 months. All of us made it because the pay-off had three zero's in it. It worked!!! I made it to 220 from 244. However, at 6'-0", I would like to lose another 20lbs. or so to be somewhere in the 190 to 200 range.

I'm willing to post my progress, let me know the plan. No more bets!!! (unless critically necessary)

If I recall correctly, you're supposed to be below 200 pounds with your flight gear to fly in the R22, is this correct? I'm currently over 200 pounds; how much would I have to lose in order to be at or below 200 with my gear? (In other words, how much does the gear weigh?)

I'm also concerned that a good portion of my weight is non-fat weight. I know I can lose fat by eating less and lifting weights, but how do I lose muscle weight? =\

Oh, yeah... go ahead and gloat... :P

Hey, like I said, the grass is always greener. Not that I actually wish to grow upwards or outwards :lol: but I can see where a little more length and mass would be helpful!! My instructor calls me "elfin"!! However, I am comfy enough in the R22 without adjustable pedals, a booster seat or back pad or arm rest or anything, which I am grateful for, at least so far... ;)

I can see where a little more length and mass would be helpful!! My instructor calls me "elfin"!! However, I am comfy enough in the R22 without adjustable pedals, a booster seat or back pad or arm rest or anything, which I am grateful for, at least so far... ;)

Hey I just read a book called "Taking Fire" it is the story of Ron "Mini-Man" Alexander, a Huey pilot in Vietnam who was 5'3 125#. If he could do the things he did in that aircraft you should have no problems. it is a good read if you are into Vietnam era military books or helicopter books in general.

And Daniel- you have to be below 240 to fly in the R22. Any other weight limit is an arbitrary one set by your comany. If you are that close to 200 lbs, and in good shape, don't worry about losing weight. Your gear doesn't weight that much.

Thanks! I'm not much of a history buff (always lose to the yellow pie in Trivial Pursuit) but I'll read anything heli so I'll give it a run for inspiration! I always figure I can do anything I want to but some people plant the seed of doubt whenever they can, ya know? I'll show 'em! :P

Edited by heligirl03

Im definetly up for this one. The biggest problem i have is motivation you know? If there is some aspect of competiton (between us) then i am more likely to actually try harder :rolleyes:

So i will post progress on the website. We could also include tips for each other to help us all collectivly.

I lost about 40lbs to get into a R22 for training. But I am kind of a big guy- 6'8", you should see me in a R22, funny as hell! Good luck on the weight loss to everyone on this threat, Try supersize me for further motivation!

Fly Safe (and look foward to the day when you fly a bigger ship and weight doesnt mean as much!

BEN

Astronaut Neil Armstrong famously said "You only get so many heartbeats, don't waste them exercising"

Richard

If I remember correctly, Mark Twain had a similar quote. Something like "the only exercise he ever got was walking to the funerals of his friends that did excercise".

-V5