R22 in the Summer

This may be a stupid question but do the R22 s fly ok in extreme heat of summer?

I heard from numerous people that some schools (depending on location) try not to fly in the extreme 100+ heat, due to not enough lift?

Is this true? If it is, will it take me longer to get my PPL since I will be limited to the times I can Fly?

If so, would it be worth trying to get my PPL in the summer at a r22 school or wait till it cools off?

Thanks

The only thing I can think of that would be affected by heat is air density and fuel volume.

When air gets hot it expands, giving you fewer air molecules in the same volume of air, which means you have less actual matter for the blades to interact with. The same thing happens at higher altitudes. The practical upshot is that you get less lift, which is what it sounds like you're talking about. I can't imagine it would be a really big deal unless you're already at a high altitude. But listen to your instructor, not some random dude on the Internet (me).

When fuel gets hot, it also expands, giving you less fuel for the volume. This could be an issue because you can't put as much fuel into a tank if it's hot, giving you shorter flight times. Combine this with the problem of decreased lift when the air is hot, and your tank of fuel could in theory provide significantly less flight time than when it's cold out.

Note that I said "in theory". The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, anything you can do in theory you can do in practice, but in practice that's not how it actually works ;)

This may be a stupid question but do the R22 s fly ok in extreme heat of summer?

I heard from numerous people that some schools (depending on location) try not to fly in the extreme 100+ heat, due to not enough lift?

Is this true? If it is, will it take me longer to get my PPL since I will be limited to the times I can Fly?

If so, would it be worth trying to get my PPL in the summer at a r22 school or wait till it cools off?

Thanks

I flew all last summer after work (5:00pm) in Phoenix area last year with temps past 110 on a regular basis, and the R22 did just fine even at 1370. Our field elevation is 1243 so most of our flying is below 3500 MSL. I've noticed being more power limited in the winter with carb heat on than in the summer. Hovering is brutal since you don't get any breeze, but most of the time it's not bad.

I've seen 53°C on the OAT gauge when hovering over the Taxiway before. It'll do it, but it's not fun. I fly at the same school as Pogue and I'll agree, it was worse with full carb heat in the winter than during the summer. Not by much, but it was certainly a kill joy.

For what it's worth, at the Robbie course, they said full carb heat is like adding about 2000' DA to the engine in terms of performance. FYI.

It all depends on the bird your flying. If your flying a Beta II you will do better than a Beta. If your flying a Mariner it will make a difference. Depends on how well the bird is taken care of. The higher the DA the more it will limit the MP your supposed to pull. The R22 will do it, but if it's a Beta and you have two heavy pilots, high temp and high humidity it's not going to like it too much. And you don't have to be at a high altitude for it to effect the performance. The airport I fly out of is at 17 feet and it definitely hinders what we can carry on the hot days.

Anything over about 85 F I like to take the doors off. Good breeze thru the cockpit, and shaves I think 14 pounds of weight off. Of course, be more cautious with fuel load, don't carry much more than the good book says you need to. Just be extra cautious with doors off that nothing comes out of the cockpit ( checklists, cellphones, charts, etc.)...that can be a killer.

Goldy

ChpPlt ( edit) - yeah, I checked my WB...like 5 pounds each..but you get the idea!

Edited by Goldy

Quote:

(I've seen 53°C on the OAT gauge when hovering over the Taxiway before.)

53C IS 127.4F, I think it's possible that your OAT gauge is broken and that you are mistaken.

Edited by fatnlazy

I wouldnt say that. I've seen mid-high 40's on the OAT, and that wasnt even mid-summer. It gets HOT in Phoenix :P

I've seen 122 in Death Valley...over an asphalt taxiway you always seem to get an extra 5-6 degrees of heat radiation..

Doesnt matter, I couldnt get airborne at 50 C.....

Where I trained in the summer it would get to be 95 plus degrees many days and take the DA to over 8500feet (from a 4500 foot field elevation). I did see 114 degrees sitting on the ramp just prior to Take off one day but it cooled down once we were in the air. We took the doors off too, helps with the heat. Performance of R22's is a bit sloppy at those DA's but it just teaches you better control touch and thinking ahead to insure you do fly into a hold you cant get out of.

Fly Safe

BEN

53C IS 127.4F, I think it's possible that your OAT gauge is broken and that you are mistaken.

You'll note I said over the Taxiway. While I'm sure it's not accurate to the tenth of a degree, 127 is entirely possible and not completely uncommon here. IIRC, we saw a few days over 120 last year, welcome to Phoenix.

You northerners throw water into the air and watch it freeze, we throw eggs on the street and watch them cook. ;)