Breaking in to the Gulf

ND CFI

I am a newly "transitioned" helicopter pilot working as a CFI to build time. (I do like it, though) I was hoping to break into the Gulf by Christmas. I am very low time, and was resting my hopes on a PHI booth at Heli-Expo that advertised SIC jobs at 500 hours.

I was wondering if any of my "additional" experience counts. I have 500 hours fixed wing, and by the time I do have 500 rotor time, about 1/3-1/2 will be B206 PIC time. Will any of that help, or am I going to have to wait for the magical 1000?

I am a newly "transitioned" helicopter pilot working as a CFI to build time. (I do like it, though) I was hoping to break into the Gulf by Christmas. I am very low time, and was resting my hopes on a PHI booth at Heli-Expo that advertised SIC jobs at 500 hours.

I was wondering if any of my "additional" experience counts. I have 500 hours fixed wing, and by the time I do have 500 rotor time, about 1/3-1/2 will be B206 PIC time. Will any of that help, or am I going to have to wait for the magical 1000?

I believe that a while back they were taking guys or gals with between 500-750 hours rotor time as SIC's but you had to weigh less than 170 ish pounds. Check PHi for the low down - he's a nice guy and will put you straight.

• 1 month later...
I believe that a while back they were taking guys or gals with between 500-750 hours rotor time as SIC's but you had to weigh less than 170 ish pounds. Check PHi for the low down - he's a nice guy and will put you straight.

PHI was offering SIC jobs for applicants with less than 1000, but started them at 40K. My recommendation, soldier on with the CFI gig until you get your 1000 PIC in RW. That way you can START in the GOM at 52K+. Just my .02

Edited by Bayou06

i just got a job with phi as sic with 600hrs total time which included 500 pic, i had to have 100 x country, and 25 night x country, the starting salary was 40k, i weighed 190 approx, im still waiting for a start date, my advise is to crack on with the cfi and just always be applying for jobs, you never know what you can get in the industry at the mo, you would be surprised at the offers you will receive, as for getting some turbine time, i think the more you have with lower hours the better your chance of shining above those without it, i was lucky to have 300hrs approx, im sure it didnt hurt my resume!!!

i wish you all the best of luck, just keep plodding along you will get there in the end, all good things come to those who wait!!

blue skies

mattcob