Help Choosing the flight school that right for me...

Well First I will tell you the details...

I am currently a 11B in the US Army. I returned from iraq in November and will be getting out soon... I am wanting to start a new carreer, and can't think of anything i would rather do than FLY Heli's..

I am very dedicated and get things done and learn even quicker.. I am looking for a quality school, one where i can accomplish my goals in a matter of months, not years. I have been away from my wife for 2 years (She is in college and Me being deployed) and I want to go to school, work hard and get my certifications...

I want to get my : Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot, Flight Instructor Rating, and Flight Instructor Instrument Rating. then possibly a transition turbine class.

Basically, I want as much training as possible, want to work hard and get it done quickly... Becasue of the "pro pilot programs" and package deals, Palm Beach Helicopters, and silver state, and places like that catch my eye, but it scares me when i hear about lack of flying time, and talk about taking 2 years to accomplish. I will not be working and want to do this full time...

Any help and reccomendations would be awsome..

curtis sideswiped2003@aol.com

Did you have a chance to read through this by chance? Some of your questions will be answered, some won't be, and other questions will rear there ugly head.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...?showtopic=4360

There are a ton of schools out there, and your going to need to narrow them down. There is a whole host of schools out there, what worked for me or the next guy may not work for you. If you have VA benifits then you will be narrowed down to part 141 schools, which is not a bad thing, as there are alot of pro's to part 141 in my opinion. From there, what part of the US do you want to relocate to, and then do you have a preference in training platform (R-22 or S300) and type of area you want to fly in (coastal areas, desert, mountains etc).

Your not the only person to ask these question, so look around here and do some searching! When you have it narrowed down, come back and look for reviews or reference to those schools. Do your research and be wary of schools that want all of the money up front. Either pay as you go, or have only on deposit 10 hours maximum on account type of thing.

If you're interested in AZ I'd recommend Quantum (www.quantumhelicopters.com) highly. They're 141 and VA approved and have the VA process down pat. I've never had a problem with scheduling and the weather is such that you won't have too many cancellations. Guidance up in Prescott (http://www.guidancehelicopters.com/) also is 141 and has a good reputation, although I don't have personal experience with them. Get your VA eligibility paperwork submitted right away, as that's going to take about a month. The AZ Guard has some educational benefits as well if you're considering doing guard time.

I am currently a 11B in the US Army. I returned from iraq in November and will be getting out soon... I am wanting to start a new carreer, and can't think of anything i would rather do than FLY Heli's..

My first thought is this....Weigh 75K against re-enlisting for 4 years and getting some of the best training out there.....Is there anyway you could get this training at the US Gov expense instead of your own? 10 years from now you will still be paying off the 75K if you pay for it yourself.

Other than that, try a couple schools out with intro flights and pick one with good weather and GO !

Good luck, Goldy

I am very dedicated and get things done and learn even quicker.. I am looking for a quality school, one where i can accomplish my goals in a matter of months, not years. I have been away from my wife for 2 years (She is in college and Me being deployed) and I want to go to school, work hard and get my certifications...

I want to get my : Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot, Flight Instructor Rating, and Flight Instructor Instrument Rating. then possibly a transition turbine class.

Basically, I want as much training as possible, want to work hard and get it done quickly... Becasue of the "pro pilot programs" and package deals, Palm Beach Helicopters, and silver state, and places like that catch my eye, but it scares me when i hear about lack of flying time, and talk about taking 2 years to accomplish. I will not be working and want to do this full time...

Any help and reccomendations would be awsome..

curtis sideswiped2003@aol.com

My advice is go to Quantum if you are looking in AZ. They have their stuff together and won't screw you around like some other schools. Just my two cents

Goldy, the only way for the government to pay for this sort of training would be to go Warrant Officer and sign up for another 8 years (without using VA). And then flight school still isn't a for sure thing.

If someone knows a loop hole, by all means let me know. I would be more than happy to hop through that loop.

Kirk

Try www.civichelicopters.com

Awesome school, great weather, mx, instructors :), and aircraft.

Just be wary of CFI's with helicopter tattoos !!

allright..just kidding..

Curtis- first off you have my total respect for your service....thank you.

Next, is this what you REALLY want ? Have you spent a few hours flying so you know you can handle it? You are making some huge goals, in a short period of time. Others have done it, (not me) just make sure you fly with a couple schools before you single one out. If you have any desire to come to Los Angeles, I can recommend a few.

Best of luck,

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Hey Mad Bomber,

I was wondering about your name until I noticed 764th EOD. My assistant dorm chief was gonna go EOD, but told the MTI he was having night mares about that AFSC. The TI sent him back to the career Sgt, they switched him over to be an airframe mech on A-10's.

I had some EOD guys at Aviano couldn't start the APC, so they called me at the Fire Dept to come check there APC since some of my fire trucks used basically the same engine. Seems someone never turned the fuel valve on at the drop door on the left side, so sure its not gonna run like that, lol. They felt so stupid.... I never got to ride in one of those things, though.

Mechanic, yeah well, the EOD people you were around probably couldn't figure it out because they were to busy having an argument about what the best way to do it was. We can handle IED's all day long but I'll be damned if we could actually get anything simple done with out arguing about it first.

Later,

Kirk

Oh, if your friend wants to know anything about the job, have him give me a shout.