Training in the FH1100 Turbine Helicopter

Hey Guys,

I don't know if you have seen it but there is this company in FL "Van Nevel Helicopter Academy" where you can train in a factory setting on all turbine?

http://www.fh1100.com/flightschool.html

I am new and try to find the right school, beeing here for a few weeks shows that all of us will have to pay the dues and work as CFI to build up time and eventualy transit to turbine.

What if you could start flying with turbine - how would be the job prospects if you have hardly ever flew a R22/R44.

Do you really have to work as an CFI or would it make it easier to get the turbine time from the start?

Any comment appreciated

Lieber Flugtag:

The "big deal" with getting turbine time is how much it costs. If you have 300 hours of turbine time, you will stand no more chance of getting hired somewhere than if you had 300 hours of piston time. A turbine helicopter's systems are, in most cases, more complex than those of a piston helicopter. Because of that, you knowledge level for Private Pilot will have to be greater. In other words, the examiner will ask you questions about the helicopter's systems; and the more complex the system, the more you have to know to come up with acceptable answers. Eventually, you wil have to know this stuff, but you already have a lot to learn for the PPL--without adding all that on top of it.

I got a friend of mine an interview with a local EMS company. He got hired in spite of not having enough hours (by a couple hundred). All of his time is turbine, except for an hour or so of dual I gave him in a Schweizer. They didn't hire him because he had all that turbine time, but because most of that time was in UH-60's flying combat missions. (The EMS company flies S-76's).

One more point.... I'm working on my ATP. I thought it might be a good idea to do it in 206 or a 500. I got the same advice I just gave you in the first paragraph. I'm doing my ATP in Schweizer 300CBi. I'll do the turbine later. Perhaps I can find a couple people that own turbine helicopters that want a flight review or something.

Viel Gluck!

Jeff

Lieber Flugtag:

The "big deal" with getting turbine time is how much it costs. If you have 300 hours of turbine time, you will stand no more chance of getting hired somewhere than if you had 300 hours of piston time. A turbine helicopter's systems are, in most cases, more complex than those of a piston helicopter. Because of that, you knowledge level for Private Pilot will have to be greater. In other words, the examiner will ask you questions about the helicopter's systems; and the more complex the system, the more you have to know to come up with acceptable answers. Eventually, you wil have to know this stuff, but you already have a lot to learn for the PPL--without adding all that on top of it.

I got a friend of mine an interview with a local EMS company. He got hired in spite of not having enough hours (by a couple hundred). All of his time is turbine, except for an hour or so of dual I gave him in a Schweizer. They didn't hire him because he had all that turbine time, but because most of that time was in UH-60's flying combat missions. (The EMS company flies S-76's).

One more point.... I'm working on my ATP. I thought it might be a good idea to do it in 206 or a 500. I got the same advice I just gave you in the first paragraph. I'm doing my ATP in Schweizer 300CBi. I'll do the turbine later. Perhaps I can find a couple people that own turbine helicopters that want a flight review or something.

Viel Gluck!

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for your response,

the cost of the turbine training is about the same as piston , at least at Van Nevel Academy.

I keep looking for the right school, I just thought I could skip the expensive turbine time after I got my CFI and the required hours with the option to train in all turbine.

Jake

the cost of the turbine training is about the same as piston , at least at Van Nevel Academy.

I keep looking for the right school, I just thought I could skip the expensive turbine time after I got my CFI and the required hours with the option to train in all turbine.

Uhhh, you must have some pretty expensive piston schools in your area - $390 an hour is comparable with an R44, but is quite a bit more than you would be paying in a 300 or R22. I think Hillers and B47's are in the same range. Even if you're only looking at private that's on the order of $9000 more assuming it takes you 60 hours.

Uhhh, you must have some pretty expensive piston schools in your area - $390 an hour is comparable with an R44, but is quite a bit more than you would be paying in a 300 or R22. I think Hillers and B47's are in the same range. Even if you're only looking at private that's on the order of $9000 more assuming it takes you 60 hours.

Hi,

I was quoted $ 315/schweizer 300 plus $50 for instructor, but i see there are other options and I will have to relocate for the training.

Hi,

I was quoted $ 315/schweizer 300 plus $50 for instructor, but i see there are other options and I will have to relocate for the training.

That's a ripoff price. I get a 300 (instrument equipped if you want instrument training) for $235/hr. And I charge $50/hr for my time.

Jeff

That's a ripoff price. I get a 300 (instrument equipped if you want instrument training) for $235/hr. And I charge $50/hr for my time.

Jeff

Yeah that $300+ for a 300 is definitely a ripoff, I'm flying a 300C for 265/hr dual and thats NOT the block rate.

Edited by svtcobra66

I think the bigger issue here is marketability. It is generally accepted that in order to build hours as a commercial pilot you will need to instruct. I know there are other opportunities out there but they are few and far between. That being said, how many schools in this country train in the FH1100? I can think of only one, although they MAY exist elsewhere. In other words, by getting your training at Van Nevel you are seriously limiting your options for employment. When you first start your career turbine time means absolutely nothing. PIC time is the goal, regardless of aircraft, that will help you move on to the next step(GOM, Alaska, tours, whatever..) Save some cash, train in a Robby or a Schweizer and give yourself a fighting chance at employment.

!!!NOBODY NEEDS TO PAY FOR TURBINE TIME!!!

Once you reach the 1000 mark and look to move into turbines the company that hires you will pay for your transition either by sending you to a factory course or with their own in house training. Be smart and save the cash for the impending student loan payments.

Edited by nsdqjr

I think the bigger issue here is marketability. It is generally accepted that in order to build hours as a commercial pilot you will need to instruct. I know there are other opportunities out there but they are few and far between. That being said, how many schools in this country train in the FH1100? I can think of only one, although they MAY exist elsewhere. In other words, by getting your training at Van Nevel you are seriously limiting your options for employment. When you first start your career turbine time means absolutely nothing. PIC time is the goal, regardless of aircraft, that will help you move on to the next step(GOM, Alaska, tours, whatever..) Save some cash, train in a Robby or a Schweizer and give yourself a fighting chance at employment.

!!!NOBODY NEEDS TO PAY FOR TURBINE TIME!!!

Once you reach the 1000 mark and look to move into turbines the company that hires you will pay for your transition either by sending you to a factory course or with their own in house training. Be smart and save the cash for the impending student loan payments.

X2 on that. I intro'd in both a 300 and a Robbie, I really liked the 300 way better, in fact I really do not like the Robbies at all, but after looking at all the schools that train in R/22 and R/44 compared to the 300, and the fact that there are more and more companies starting to use R/44's for real world jobs , I decided to go ahead and train in the craft I thought gave me the broadest spectrum of employment opportunities. Everyone I spoke to all said that the company that hires you will pay for your turbine transition. So after deciding to go R/22 then it was deciding which school fit me and my goals the best, so I relocated 16 hr drive away from where I used to live.

Ask mattcobb what 400 hours of turbine time did for him.

bossman

I wanted to come to your school, but after 7, no exaggeration, 7 phone calls and 3 e-mails and no response, I gave up. I honestly hope that that was and is not the norm and that you guys do well.

BTW, what did 400 hrs do for him?

mattcob was able to get a job in the GOM flying second-in-command. However his post says he has a total of 600 hours, and 300 of which are turbine. I assume the other 300 are in a piston. The post is in the general forum if any of you want to see it. I do agree that I would probably rather flying second in command in GOM than instruct up to 1000 hours, however personally, I am not willing to take the risk of buying those turbine hours, then not being able to get a job.

• 2 weeks later...

One disadvantage to learning all turbine, is that you really do not develop the skills to operate the turbine with a governor failure. See where flugtag is, I can understand the price he was quoted. I looked at Van Nevel for my Instrument and CFII training and was schedule o do it. Mostly because it was less than any of the R44 schools I looked at and you do get what is considered Factory training.