Sunset to Sunrise Regulations

joker

Ok, quick question here (due to early morning brain fart),

Are there any other rules (other than Aircraft Lights 91.209) which are predicated on the times of 'Sunset to Sunrise'? Or do all other such regulations* go by the definition of night, which is the end of civil twilight to the begining of civil dawn (same as FAA's morning civil twilight - FAR1.1)?

*Notwithstanding the recurrency requirements (61.57)

Thanks,

Joker

Edited by joker

Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight,

- as published in the American Air Almanac, converted to local time - FAR Part 1

© Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (B) of this section.

(2) Approved position lights.

(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color may be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft may be continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made.

(4) If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.

(5) An adequate source of electrical energy for all installed electrical and radio equipment.

(6) One spare set of fuses, or three spare fuses of each kind required, that are accessible to the pilot in flight.

The PALISS memory aid works good-

P-osition lights

A-nticollision lights

L-anding Light

I-nstruments for VFR day..SOFATACOS

S-ource of power

S-pare fuses

As far as I can tell there arent any Regs. other than the position light requirement for Civil Twilight times

Edited by HelliBoy

Heliboy,

Well, done, but READ MY QUESTION.

Joker

Thanks, but read my response...is there such thing as too much information?? :rolleyes:

As far as I can tell there arent any Regs. other than the position light requirement for Civil Twilight times

As far as I can tell there arent any Regs. other than the position light requirement for Civil Twilight times!

That's all I wanted to know, thanks. Pretty familiar with 91.205 already, ta!

BTW, your added sentence (quoted above) didn't come up on my email. (First draft only I presume.) Hence my last post.

Cheers,

Joker

Anyone else?

Edited by joker

I still hadn't figured out the civil twilight thingy yet.

Later

Thanks, Ironranger.

*Notwithstanding the recurrency requirements (61.57)

C of G,

Why do I ask?

Long time no hear!

Ok, well I was having a discussion with pilot here about whether we could use a 'day vfr-only' routing after sunset. There is no night VFR where I fly. It's either special vfr or IFR (similar to UK).

It seems I lost this one, because I said that the civil twilight thing was only from a logbook point of view, and that actual 'flight' regulations were normally effective at sunset (as in position lights).

I was trying to find other rules, which might come effective at sunset (not end of civil twilight), and then compare the FAA regs to the local regs here, and other regs around the world. (South Africa use SS+15 as their cutoff.)

I guess I was clutching at straws trying to build my case. Actually, when I put my mind to it, I couldn't think of any rules (other than 209) which use SS / SR. So I must go back to other pilot eating humble pie now!

Does that make any sense?

Joker

Edited by joker

I still hadn't figured out the civil twilight thingy yet.

Later

Civil twilight is the time after sunset or before sunrise when a sufficient amount of the sun's light is reflected by the atmotsphere to allow for essentially day VFR flight...day VFR flight meaning ability to pilot the a/c with direct visual reference to the ground and ablility to see clouds and obstructions, the lights aid in a/c visiblity. Dont quote me but I've read or heard somewhere that its the time the sun is <6 degrees below the horizon.

Edited by HelliBoy

I wonder how he looks in spandex?

Civil Twilight is when the sun is less than 6 degrees BELOW the horizon. Astronomical and Nautical Twilight are 18 & 12 degrees below the horizon.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

Here's a link to a engine that produce a one year table for the Sunset/Sunrise, Moonset/Moonrise, and Civil Twilight tables for any city in the county. I keep a copy of the Civil Twilight table in our duty log book for logging night flights.

Typically civil twilight begins at ~30 minutes after sunset and ends ~30 minutes before sunrise.

I had a reply all figured out, but then I read delorean's post. So diito what he said. One other place I've seen the word "night" used is with certain airports, i.e. Aspen, CO, and Put-In-Bay, OH. Takeoffs and landings are prohibited at night. So when is "night"? I would go to the link delorean provided and find out before I got arrested or fined.

Jeff