R-22 C R A S H

(July 9, 2007) -- The pilot of a helicopter that crashed in northeast Albuquerque is doing fine after the crash, which also knocked out power to 1,158 customers.

The small helicopter crashed at the intersection of Aztec and Vassar, northwest of Carlisle and Menaul.

The pilot had taken off from the Edgewood airport, and had refueled at the Double Eagle airport in Albuquerque. He then hovered over the area where he crashed so that his brother could take photos of the helicopter.

That's when he lost power and crashed.

The pilot was taken to the hospital to get checked out, but by noon, he had returned to the scene.

By 10:50 this morning, PNM crews had restored power to all but 21 customers in the area.

It's affecting customers south of Montgomery, east of Stanford, north of Menaul and west of Carlisle.

VIDEO at:

http://www.krqe.com/global/video/popup/pop...=v&at1=News - Breaking News&d1=122967&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.krqe.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D6763188%26nav%3Dmenu588_1&rnd=61230021

Posted by Richard

http://safety.com

http://heli-wear.com

6763188_BG1.jpg

6763188_BG3.jpg

6763188_BG2.gif

Not bad walking away from an engine failure while hovering, especially considering he had to be higher than a power line, which puts him in the deadmans part of the H/V curve.

Also glad to hear he is ok..especially since I have a friend ferrying in a R22 from Texas to L.A., and flying thru New Mexico today. I'll just sit here and hold my breath.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

That was my instructors R22, had right around 600 hours on it. I personally had over 38. Very close to attaining my private. It was one of his other students that was in it during the crash, doing his first cross country solo. I flew it not even 24 hours before that :( . IMO, it was lose of ETL, not an engine failure. The density altitude here does not lend well to hovering at any height AGL. I don't know the whole story and don't personally know the pilot who crashed, and I AM NOT pointing fingers, just EXTREMELY upset that my training is going to be put on hold.

IMO, it was lose of ETL, not an engine failure.

Roc87, sorry to hear that you will be put on hold. Must be very frustrating.

One thing you will find in this industry is that when a crash happens, you'll get all sorts of theories pop up as to the cause.

On the one hand, speculation is healthy. It gets us all thinking about possible causes, and the process can help us all be better pilots.

On the other hand, specualation soon after the event and with sketchy details can sometimes be damaging, particularly if further investigation finds otherwise. I personally think it is prudent not to openly comment straight after an incident (particularly if there were fatalities), but if only save finding I was wrong as they find say, bird parts caught up in the intake or something.

Food for thought.

Joker

I have also flown many times with the instructor/owner over the past several years. He's meticulous with the care and maintenance of his aircraft. It's highly unlikely that it was any mechanical failure. My opinion though, and we won't know for sure until the final report is published.

I have also flown many times with the instructor/owner over the past several years. He's meticulous with the care and maintenance of his aircraft. It's highly unlikely that it was any mechanical failure. My opinion though, and we won't know for sure until the final report is published.

I agree, that R22 was "in like new" condition, he was always polishing it, and measuring something to make sure it was in "spec". I've helped Dave check compression & change the oil in it before, I thought I was meticulous about my cars! I cannot imagine what he must be going thru right now.

Joker, I really wasn't pointing fingers, just stating my opionion (which after 38 hours of flying doesn't amount to .02) I am however eagerly looking forward to the outcome of the investigation. Plus, yeah, it's EXTREMELY frustrating, I was planning an entire career around flying, and now it seems as though that has been pushed back. May end up getting a home equity loan (Or just get really into debt) to fund the purchase of a small heli so I can continue to train and get my hours up.

Flylow, do you have a pilot job or still in training? Cool finding someone that has been in the air with Dave!