Eurocopter Crash - not in finland-

I think it's a twinstar but not sure - very grainy video. Looks like either a control problem or maybe a passenger pulled up on the collective or stomped a pedal....

still looking for details...

see the video at:

http://www.toxicjunction.com/get.asp?i=V2984

Richard

http://heli-safety.com

http://heli-wear.com

Eurocopter Crash - Finland

still looking for details...

Want some details? Here's one;That did not happen in Finland, it happened in Gulf of Finland. Kinda same like one would say that Gulf of mexico is completely Mexican territory.

It happened in Russia few weeks ago, one dead, others seriously injured. Aircraft belonged to company called Baltic Airlines.

FinR

Want some details? Here's one;That did not happen in Finland, it happened in Gulf of Finland. Kinda same like one would say that Gulf of mexico is completely Mexican territory.

It happened in Russia few weeks ago, one dead, others seriously injured. Aircraft belonged to company called Baltic Airlines.

FinR

Thanks for the info. Too bad you had to be such a snot about it.

anyway, here is more for those that may be interested.

One missing in helicopter crash in Russia

OZERKI, Russia, June 24 (HSNS)- Four people were rescued and one was missing after a Baltic Airlines helicopter crashed in the Gulf of Finland in Russia.

The helicopter crashed and sank near the town of Ozerki Saturday night and the search for a pilot continued Sunday, Itar-Tass reported.

Of the four people pulled from the frigid water, two were hospitalized and two received medical aid at the scene.

- - - - The AS-355 helicopter belonging to Baltic Aviation crashed around 6:30 p.m. (1430 GMT) Saturday about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of St. Petersburg, Russia, on the shores of the Gulf of Finland.

Could that be something related to hydraulic jack stall? Now granted, all I know of it is from Fatal Traps, and I'm kinda hazy at that. Isn't it something about high disc loading and angles of attack on the AStar can cause it to lock up, pitch aft and roll? I recall the description in Fatal Traps saying that it is normally self correcting, but you will lose altitude in the recovery.

So the real question is, if someone pulled aft on the cyclic for some reason, and they were heavy, could that lock it up?

Thanks for the info. Too bad you had to be such a snot about it.

Sometimes i feel lucky because my english isn't perfect. See i don't know what "snot" means. And i quess i don't even want to... Anyway, you're welcome.

So the real question is, if someone pulled aft on the cyclic for some reason, and they were heavy, could that lock it up?

FauxZ, i don't have experience with Twinstars, only 350's, but i don't think so. U need much more airspeed to get the disk loading high enough to get a control lock-up (JackStall). That kind of fast, strong control input doesn't do it alone, even if heavy.

Edited by FinR

FauxZ, i don't have experience with Twinstars, only 350's, but i don't think so. U need much more airspeed to get the disk loading high enough to get a control lock-up (JackStall). That kind of fast, strong control input doesn't do it alone, even if heavy.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Here's one- Out of limit aft CoG. As he continues to accelerate he runs out of forward cyclic, is unable to push through the blowback; the helicopter pitches up and begins to roll, there isnt enough forward cyclic to stop the pitch up and he attempts to follow the roll out to gain a slower airspeed at a fairly level attitude. Unfortunately he doesnt have the altitude.

The only hitch is that the roll appears to be to the left. Now in a counter-clockwise turning main rotor the roll would be to the left- the advancing blade is on the right and creates more lift and causes a left roll. But this is a twinstar, which has a clockwise turning main rotor which would cause a roll to the right. Maybe the roll caused by transverse flow effect was counteracted with lateral cyclic because he was within lateral CoG limits and the pilot elected to perform the left roll in order to avoid looping the helicopter.

I'm just hypothesizing here and am in no way intending to impune the skills of this unfortunate pilot or suggest I would have done anything different but I think a hammerhead (aka: torque turn, ag turn) would have gotten him out of the situation if he pulled out of it with aft cyclic immediately after the turn...it would have left him level with little airspeed, at least slow enough to not run out of forward cyclic again.

Any thoughts? I've never flown an as355 or as350 for that matter...is this possible?