emergency landing

adria

Is it possible to land a helicopter by some retrorockets or parachute in emergency? Is there any

helicopter with such device?

Thats nuts..give me a rotor system with some inertia and I would prefer that to a chute any day..

It's possible to land a helicopter in an emergency using the rotors, no need for a parachute or anything else. The only time you would ever need a parachute or anything else is if you lost the main rotor, and that is as rare as losing the wings on an airplane. In fact, in order to use any of the systems you mentioned, you would have to remove the main rotor system in some way. The US Army did some research on this, and did come up with a plan to blow the main rotor off the aircraft, but the system was impractical, and never implemented.

The only time you would ever need a parachute or anything else is if you lost the main rotor...

Control failure, fuselage failure causing out of CG condition, incapacitated pilot, loss of situtational awareness in IMC, passenger comfort etc. are some other reasons why a parachute might be nice. The number one selling GA aircraft has a pretty poor payload capacity and is very expensive, but it has a parachute.

The number one selling GA aircraft has a pretty poor payload capacity and is very expensive, but it has a parachute.

Yeah, and it crashes and kills people all the time. Hmm...its also an R22 ???? Spooky, huh ? SR 22, R 22 whats the difference !

Goldy

Yeah, and it crashes and kills people all the time. Hmm...its also an R22 ???? Spooky, huh ? SR 22, R 22 whats the difference !

Goldy

What is really sppoky is that it is the exact same part that fails in both of them to cause the crashes. The nut that holds the controls is responsible for more crashes than any other part. How freaky is that!

With a poor payload in the first place, adding a hundred or so pounds for a parachute, ballistic bolts on the head, etc, is the last thing you want. I'll continue to live without one.

Maybe you won't live without one. That is the issue. Many pilots in WWII thought parachutes were for wimps, and many of them died. Anything that increases the likelyhood of survival in the event of a catastrophie is good in my book. Good ADM will allow you to live a long time if nothing with the aircraft goes wrong, but if it does, wouldn't hurt to have some extra insurance.

Maybe you won't live without one. That is the issue. Many pilots in WWII thought parachutes were for wimps, and many of them died. Anything that increases the likelyhood of survival in the event of a catastrophie is good in my book. Good ADM will allow you to live a long time if nothing with the aircraft goes wrong, but if it does, wouldn't hurt to have some extra insurance.

I most definitely DON'T want yet another thing to break, against the very, very low probability of catastrophic airframe failure. Especially something that will blow my rotors, mast, or anything else that keeps me up. That's what you'd need for something comparable to the Cirrus BRS(?) or to put in an ejection seat, like the one in the Kamov KA-50.

There is such a thing as over-insurance. If it costs more than the potential benefit- and this idea does, unless you're in combat- then it's not worth the potential losses.

You have to do a risk/benefit assessment of any system before installing it. You have to weigh the number of incidents in which the parachute would have saved lives against the cost, weight, and dangers involved, and make no mistake, there are high costs and danger involved in this, and the weight of the installation is substantial. The number of accidents in which this would have helped is, given a cursory search of the NTSB history, very small, if any exist at all. I didn't find any, but I admit my search was not exhaustive. In any case, it is not going to happen. No sane manufacturer will use it.

You have to do a risk/benefit assessment of any system before installing it. You have to weigh the number of incidents in which the parachute would have saved lives against the cost, weight, and dangers involved, and make no mistake, there are high costs and danger involved in this, and the weight of the installation is substantial. The number of accidents in which this would have helped is, given a cursory search of the NTSB history, very small, if any exist at all. I didn't find any, but I admit my search was not exhaustive. In any case, it is not going to happen. No sane manufacturer will use it.

Thats pretty much what people said before the SR22. You have to figure in the psychological factor which is even stronger than the money factor. It will happen someday.

I believe you're wrong about that, but time will tell. The SR22 isn't exactly flying out of the factory.

:huh: ???

"According to the General Aviation Manufacturers Association, the Cirrus SR22 had been the best selling certified single engine airplane in every year since 2002."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_Design

"The company celebrated its 3,000th production aircraft in November 2006" (9 years after delivering their first)

"Cirrus manufactures 15 aircraft per week..."

"Cirrus delivered 600 aircraft in 2005 and about 700 in 2006. In 2001, Cirrus captured 11 percent of the market for single-engine piston planes. Today, the company holds a 33-percent share."

http://www.airportjournals.com/Display.cfm?varID=0701026

It doesn't seem like a parachute would have time to be effective for a helicopter. If something goes wrong that necessitates a parachute, the ground would probably be seconds away. I don't know about you, but I spend most my time at or below 1,500 ft. and we weren't meant to glide like a huge wing in the event of emergency. We glide like a rock... Except for autorotations which are very relaxing.

I'm sorry but a helicopter with a parachute...welcome to the department of redundancy department. Some things may well be worth over doing but this is not one of them. I hate to be the sadistic one but if you are going to put a parachute on a helicopter won't you need a back up? :P