Probability of getting a CFI-H job w/ only 150 hrs in the NYC area

franknyc

It was a toss up between Fixed or helos and after 2 discovery flights, helos win. I currently looking for training in the NYC area and I have a few questions:

1) I'm estimating 45k to get my ppl, commercial and CFI-H, is this close?

2) I'd like to instruct. Can I get a job with only 150 hrs? Also, if no one hires me, can I just pound the pavement, get my own students, rent a block of r22 time and teach? How much would the insurance be

3) I'd lilke to stay in the NYC area. Going to the gulf of mexico or anywhere else is not an option. I'm a career changer and we're based in NY. That said, how long will it take to upgrade to a turbine?

I'm not expecting to make much money. If I only make 30k a year, I'll be happy. My concern is finding employment, any employment after I get my commercial/cfi by limiting myself ony to NYC/Long Island and parts of Jersey

Thanks much

1) Yes it is possible for 45K... if you are smart, determined, and study well on your own.

2) You can't instruct in the R22 with only 150 hrs... you'll need 200 for the r22.... If you fly the schweizer you can instruct at 150 hrs.... although I believe it would be difficult to ever be able to predict WHERE you will get that job.

Getting your own students is good... but you'll never pull off the R22 block for instructing.... that will cost you more $$$ that I imagine you'll be willing to spend for what you'll get out of it. Insurance would be 15-20 thousand per year... and again with only 150 hrs.. schweizer only... which means you probably can't even find insurance that would be worth it.

3) Too bad you are so sold on NY only.... that will hurt you in the helicopter world.. upgrading to a turbine AND staying in NY..... I'm going to throw out 5-10 years.... cause WHAT are you going to do in that turbine helicopter in NY? The earliest job would probably be tour flights..... you'll need @1500 hrs minimum and you will need a factory school or turbine experience for them to give you much thought.... So it is possible in say.... 3 years, just a little unlikely.

It is also good that you're not expecting to make much money.... cause you won't.... I'll give you a buck to help in your cause toward making 30K as a flight instructor.... you'll need it.

Now that I said my opinion... if you're feeling depressed... it is ok.. cause alot of other guys will now post the opposite of what I said and tell you how you should do it anyway.