Need Input on Career Path Idea?

TMC6064

I would like some input on my plan to obtain my flight training. I apologize for the length of the post. I am currently 35 years old and have 8 years left in my current profession until I can receive a pension. I work mainly afternoons and have a very flexible schedule. I have always had an interest in flying and I have decided that I want to obtain my helicopter license and after I retire in 8 years try and make this a second career. I have read alot of the messages and spoke with a couple of flight companies here in South Florida and I have narrowed it down to 2 schools, who have training schedules condusive to my work schedule and they both seem to have good reputations. I am aware that it is going to take me longer to make the hours I need. However, My thinking was that once (and if) I obtain all of my training I figured I could build my hours part time as an instructor (seems like that is what everyone says to do) while still working at my full time job, which will also pay the bills. I figured that after 6-7 years of this I would be able to have enough hours to apply to more high paying postions, about the time I am retiring. Is this something that can be done or am I fooling myself. I have no problem working, the question is, is the industry structured so this type of plan is obtainable. Thanks for any input.

I would like some input on my plan to obtain my flight training. I apologize for the length of the post. I am currently 35 years old and have 8 years left in my current profession until I can receive a pension. I work mainly afternoons and have a very flexible schedule. I have always had an interest in flying and I have decided that I want to obtain my helicopter license and after I retire in 8 years try and make this a second career. I have read alot of the messages and spoke with a couple of flight companies here in South Florida and I have narrowed it down to 2 schools, who have training schedules condusive to my work schedule and they both seem to have good reputations. I am aware that it is going to take me longer to make the hours I need. However, My thinking was that once (and if) I obtain all of my training I figured I could build my hours part time as an instructor (seems like that is what everyone says to do) while still working at my full time job, which will also pay the bills. I figured that after 6-7 years of this I would be able to have enough hours to apply to more high paying postions, about the time I am retiring. Is this something that can be done or am I fooling myself. I have no problem working, the question is, is the industry structured so this type of plan is obtainable. Thanks for any input.

A friend of mine did exactly that. He trained on the weekends and was a weekend instructor for years, then he retired, moved to Florida(Naples), and became a full-time pilot. I haven't spoken to him for a while, but I believe he still works at London Helicopters in Naples.

Marc D.

I figured I could build my hours part time as an instructor (seems like that is what everyone says to do) while still working at my full time job, which will also pay the bills.

Several of our instructors continue to work part-time. Depends on the school's needs, your student's needs, and how fast you want to get that 1000 hours.

Sounds like a good plan to me, and having little or no debt is a good thing, and long term financal planning having a pension in place is a real good thing, The helicopters are going to be here and there will be jobs around. Besides 8 years goes by quck, when you are doing things you enjoy doing.