Tail Rotor Cracks...300C

Flying Pig

Hi FP,

If the tail rotor was aligned one blade up and one blade down and you sighted down along the trailing edge of the pitch-horn/tt casting where the rotor blade joins, is the crack there?

section view (looking down from rotor hub)

leading edge-->    (  )|==== ----      

^

crack

There is a SB out there that we accomplish on each preflight that requires looking for spider cracks under each of the T/R blade attach bolts of the H300C's.  Don't have the specific number in the office but Schweizer can fill you in.

Defintiely easier to show than to explain!!!

It is where the blades join the center of the hub, where they flatten out from the center.

OK so, first let me stress that what I offer is only anicdotal advice and you should OF COURSE follow all the good direction from your A&P and the manufacturer!

A few of our CBs, hours ranging 1,500~4,000 TT, have developed what I will call a "non-structural" crack where the inner end of the TR blade itself fairs into the trailing half of the TT/feathering arbor. (The arbor is also where the aforementioned spider cracks can develop)

Anyway, that narrow triangle-shaped bit is not structural, so it is not a disaster to develop crack at the joining arc. As long as there is no crack or separation along the long edges where this piece meets the root/trailing end of the blade, there should be no issue.

Again, please be sure you get an A&P with Schweizer experience to inspect the blades - I'm only offering a little info.