Robinson R22 vs Schweizer 300C

Pac Av PNG

Newbie asking ...

If one obtains their PPL on a Robinson R-22, would they immediately be able to fly a Schweizer 300C?

Or does some form of conversion training/certification need to take place to solo command the Schweizer 300C?

Thanks!

If you have a license you can fly it (under 12500).

You don't need any specific training. There is no requirement to have a "turbine transition" or any of that.

(except R-22)

So the statement by Brazos that goes something like if you learn to fly a helicopter you can fly any helicopter EXCEPT the R-22 holds pretty true.

Now for the practical side:

No company will let you go out and rent their aircraft without some experience or dual instruction before unleashing you.

No insurance company will let you "just go for it"

Now if you buy it and own it you can "just go for it"

So if you just got your license and you want to go rent a 300C you will need to go fly with an instructor for a little bit to get used to it. Most companies require for insurance purposes 5 hours.

Edited by apiaguy

I am curious about this as well, in for the answer!

Each helicopter has a type ratings :

A rating allows you to add additional helicopter types to your pilot license.

Type rating training duration is usually a minimum of 8 hours of flight on-type.

Schweizer/Hughes 300

Robinson R-22

Robinson R-44

Bell 206

-example

I'm sure the flight time required for type-on is correct but check with your local instructor or flight school.

Edited here->

I am type-on rated but I cant be told if this is a school or FAA thing, My dad seems to think its relates more to flight instruction.

End edit.

~Lana

Edited by Optigirl

Type rating training duration is usually a minimum of 8 hours of flight on-type.

Schweizer/Hughes 300

Robinson R-22

Robinson R-44

Bell 206

-example

I'm sure the flight time required for type-on is correct but check with your local instructor or flight school.

Edited here->

I am type-on rated but I cant be told if this is a school or FAA thing, My dad seems to think its relates more to flight instruction.

End edit.

~Lana

Sorry, this is totally wrong. You DO NOT have a type rating. See the FAR's (61.31) for the need for a type rating. I can't think of a helicopter that requires a type rating.. there was some discussion a while back about some operators asking the faa to have a type rating for the Blackhawk and the FAA shot it down.. no type rating.

Edited by apiaguy

Schweizer/Hughes 300

Robinson R-22

Robinson R-44

Bell 206B or 206LR

Astar AS350

Edited here->

End edit.

~Lana

Wrong! with a US helicopter pilots license, you do not need a type rating to fly any helicopter under 12,500 lbs, and just because you may be able to fly one helicopter does not qualify you to fly all helicopters, only a fool would think otherwise.

Newbie asking ...

If one obtains their PPL on a Robinson R-22, would they immediately be able to fly a Schweizer 300C?

Or does some form of conversion training/certification need to take place to solo command the Schweizer 300C?

Thanks!

Apiaguy has the answers.

Withthe exception of the SFAR's, where I fly I need 5 hours to get checked out in a 300 or B47. I need 500 hours in type....which just changed to 1000 hours in type.. to get it in the S64..

Every other helicopter is somewhere in between. Fixed wing has all sorts of endorsements...retractable gear, high performance over 200 hp, and so on. The FAA figures a bird is a bird, its the insurance companies that make the rules.

Glad to see the fat and lazy guy stirring off the couch.

Helicopters are a little different. Here in the US, pilots do NOT need a type rating in any aircraft that has a gross takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less. In fact, except for helicopters and turbojets, you can not be issued a type rating for any aircraft with a MGTOW of 12,500 pounds or less. For helicopters, if you hold an ATP (H) you MAY be issued a type rating for any helicopter. It only applies to ATP(H). Have no idea why.

There are NO flight time requirements in the FAR's for a type rating. I have seen pilots with just a Private certificate get a type rating. Part 61 only requires training to proficiency. So there are no time in type requirements.