Hughes 269 on EBay

atc@pct

Since this is my first post, here's a little about myself...

I am a watch supervisor at the Potomac Tracon. I learned to fly in R22s (Standards and HPs) back in 1984, and got a PP ticket. Over the years I picked up F/W too, up to Comm. AMEL.

I'd like to tap the knowledge of the forum to ask about a ship that's for sale on Ebay right now.

This bird looks okay in the pictures. It doesn't have much time on it, and seems to have plenty of life left in the major components. How come it's not getting any bids? Are they asking too much? Are the mixed times on the engine, airframe, and components indicative of a major repair?

I don't know the seller and have no interest in this, other than wanting to be educated. I might want to buy something in a few more years.

Thanks in advance.

The mixed times are really no big deal. Like i tell everyone when looking to buy a helicopter ( especially a 300) You're buying a bunch of parts---NOT a helicopter. I have a B model, ppl ask me all the time "is this brand new"?---its a 1964 & has alot of good parts on it, dual oil coolers, dual fuel tanks, engine w/ about 300hr SMOH, new M/R driveshaft, 1145's w/ around 700 remaining ( flew together their whole life too) Garmin 420 GPS, M/R & T/R transmissions plenty of time to go & all the good parts inside, glass/interior/paint is excellent, flies nice & smooth-------------i figure it to be worth maybe 80 tops, (more like 65-70) tho would be reasonable, I dont want to sell it- had it since 1990 but? for 117thousand buckaroos?------i'll even throw in full fuel ;)

I'd have to 2nd Pokey....

I have 2 B models and an A model.... The A model has 3000 hrs remaining on the main blades, 120 since overhaul on the engine, all time components have greater than 1500 hours remaining and it might be worth $80,000 to the right buyer.

The B models one has 1145's with 500 hrs remaining on the set, mid time everything else and I'd be lucky to get $65 for it. The other b model I'm restoring currently and after a ground up restoration with mid-time components you might get over $90,000.

Basically telling you that an older 269 just isn't worth 100,000 unless it has new everything. The biggest problem with the one advertised is it doesn't have anything new and while 800 hrs may sound like alot of time left on the main blades... it isn't when you consider the $50,000 replacement cost for new blades that have a 5500 hour life. The ship has high time on alot of components. Same goes for the project 269's advertised... WAY overpriced... no one will bid unless they've got money burning a hole or their friend is bidding on it for them. When you get to the $100k price on a 269 you can start looking at a mid time C model (300C).

I did most of my private training in a B model Hughes, and that one looks pretty nice, but you can probably find one a bit cheaper, which is probably why there aren't any bids.

Although if you are in the market for a piston helicopter I would take a serious look at Enstroms. More power, more rotor inertia, and more room.

Serious bidders on ebay don't bid until the last minute. There is 'snipe' software available that will post your bid whenever you specify, and most people use about 10 seconds before the end of the auction. Bidding early just drives up the price. This applies to small, cheap items or very expensive ones alike.

"Are they asking too much?" YES! Everyone that has one for sale these days thinks their birds are made of gold. Some of them stay on the market for years. That same 269 7 years ago would have sold for half of what the buy it now price is.

my 2 pennies :P