headset question

Jack Poller

Although I'm not yet flying, I have a headset question.

I have a number of David Clark H8840 headsets that I use in motorsports. These appear to be the same as the DC H10-56 (with the M-101 microphone), but have a different headband.

The H8840 has a behind-the-neck spring band. Over the top of the head is a small strip of fabric, split in the middle, and joined by velcro. The fabric strip adjusts the height of the earpieces relative to your ears, while the behind-the-neck spring band applies the pressure to your ears. The idea is that, most of the time in motorsports you're standing out in the sun, and therefore wearing a hat (typically, a baseball cap, but I usually wear a wide brimmed hat).

Also, instead of having a volume knob, they have a push-to-talk switch.

Rather than investing in yet another headset, I wanted to use what I already have (of course, with the appropriate connector adapters).

Any idea of these are OK in a helicopter? Any reason not to use them?

Thanks

Jack

post-7999-1191116429_thumb.jpg

They probably won't work, but you can try. The impedance is probably different, and the PTT switch won't work in the helicopter.

The PTT should be an easy fix you can eather tape it down or open it up and sodder the circuit closed. You could probably get a valume control nob a radio shack and replace the PTT with that if your fealing adventurous. Either way no problem. if it's compatible that is.

Edited by beckwith