Which seat is the PIC

deanathpc

O.K. reading things here and also currently reading Chickenhawk (can't put that damn book down!) and I thought I saw / read somewhere that the PIC is in the left seat of the a/c. But I'm also reading that they sit in the right seat.

So what determines it? Does it really matter might be a more appropriate question?

Short answer: The PIC is in whichever seat (s)he wants to be. It makes no real difference, and in most operations the crew alternates seats daily, or on some other regular schedule. If I don't know the SIC, or the weather is close to minimums, I prefer the left seat, letting the SIC do the flying while I watch, but it's not really that big a deal.

Short answer: The PIC is in whichever seat (s)he wants to be. It makes no real difference, and in most operations the crew alternates seats daily, or on some other regular schedule. If I don't know the SIC, or the weather is close to minimums, I prefer the left seat, letting the SIC do the flying while I watch, but it's not really that big a deal.

Short answer is excellent! Thanks gomer

O.K. reading things here and also currently reading Chickenhawk (can't put that damn book down!) and I thought I saw / read somewhere that the PIC is in the left seat of the a/c. But I'm also reading that they sit in the right seat.

So what determines it? Does it really matter might be a more appropriate question?

"Chickenhawk" is Vietnam era, Huey. Those birds had "PIC" seat on the right with the better gauges on that side. The right side collective head also had the "full set: idle release button, start trigger, landing light and searchlight switch, and the searchlight directional control. The armored seats had a slide that covered the door window area, unfortunately the right side armor also made working the door a gymnastic feat. Usually, the crew on each side slid the plate forward and secured the door for you.

The left side instrument panel was short, so you could see into the chin area and out the chin bubble, an advantage in vertical and steep ascents, or LZs with a rocks, stumps, etc. One learned to work the idle release on the right collective from the left seat, and the left collective head had a start trigger and and beep switch, so the PIC/AC (aircraft commander- kind of a "super PIC") could sit in either seat, as the mission demanded or he wished.

To recap- For IFR, etc., I preferred the right seat. The left seat was better for training a new pilot, easier to work the radios with the right hand, and you could open your own door and do almost anything except control the searchlight while flying.