new pilot

Hello all...

My name is Parker and I am currently going to college at Brigham Young University in Utah.

I have always wanted to fly helicopters, and recently I have been thinking alot about it.

(Mainly because all my friends and family are in the middle of the San Deigo fires and I have been seeing alot of helicopters save houses).

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me? I have been looking at Utah Helicopter (www.utahhelicopter.com) for lessons, but I would need financial help to pay for them. I am a big snowboarder and I love taking pictures and making movies so I think I would be more interested in that sort of thing when it comes to flying.

Im quite new to all this so I have some questions. Does the normal pilot own his own helicopter? I have seen some that are WAY expensive, so if he does, how can he afford it? Also how do you get a job? Like do pilots all work for a company that gets the jobs and just calls you up saying you are helping shoot a film? Thanks for all your help!

Parker

Hello all...

My name is Parker

Hey, mine, too!

and I am currently going to college at Brigham Young University in Utah.

I have always wanted to fly helicopters, and recently I have been thinking alot about it.

(Mainly because all my friends and family are in the middle of the San Deigo fires and I have been seeing alot of helicopters save houses).

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me? I have been looking at Utah Helicopter (www.utahhelicopter.com) for lessons, but I would need financial help to pay for them.

Most people need loans. Check out Sallie Mae, but mostly work hard to save up cash.

I am a big snowboarder and I love taking pictures and making movies so I think I would be more interested in that sort of thing when it comes to flying.

Check out heli-boarding

Im quite new to all this so I have some questions. Does the normal pilot own his own helicopter? I have seen some that are WAY expensive, so if he does, how can he afford it? Also how do you get a job? Like do pilots all work for a company that gets the jobs and just calls you up saying you are helping shoot a film? Thanks for all your help!

Parker

Pilots usually don't own their helicopters unless they run a business or are wealthier than I. You get jobs depending generally by how many hours you have. 200 hours will let you instruct, 1000 hours opens up more doors and so on...

As far as what type of jobs there are operators that specialize in certain areas. EMS or fire or photo or tours or hauling crews to oil rigs. Fire seems to be the craziest as far as just getting sent somewhere, otherwise EMS operators may cover a few hosiptals... Some EMS only have one hospital.

----------------

Now playing: Thrice - The Whaler

ok cool. someone suggested that I just join the army rotc... That's not really my thing, but it is free (plus they pay for college) Has anyone just done lessons on their own through financing? how did you go about doing that? The problem is it seems like you have to have tons of hours before getting a job, and I don't really have a helicopter I can jump in anytime I want and get hours logged...

Parker

I'm almost in the same spot that your in but I'm done all my research and have just moved up to helicopters from airplanes.I like to think this is a MUST READ before you think about making this a career. Check out a fight school and go for a demo flight and make sure you like it, my demo got me hooked and just research, its all about working your way up as well your not just going to get your PPL and land your dream job shooting movies, theres alot more things to it most people get there CFI or CFII and work building up there hours to land that job. when your done school u end with 150 to 200 hours and to really land a job u need 1000plus and a movie or fire job 2000-3000plus. most guys i hang with have loans to pay for the school and so do I. it cost alot but if you want it do it. i am.

ok cool. someone suggested that I just join the army rotc... That's not really my thing, but it is free (plus they pay for college) Has anyone just done lessons on their own through financing? how did you go about doing that? The problem is it seems like you have to have tons of hours before getting a job, and I don't really have a helicopter I can jump in anytime I want and get hours logged...

Parker

I would be cautious of loans, but unless you have a wife with a great job or a nice inheritance, there may be little choice. Just be wise (if there can be any wisdom in debt) and careful of high interest and multiple unsecured loans or credit cards. Keep it simple. I don't know the percentage but most people seem to become pilots through the civilian route. Military pilots usually stay in the military for a while. Nobody has a helicopter they can just jump in anytime which is why you need to find a school that rents there helicopters for around $200-250/hour.

Parker

I would be cautious of loans, but unless you have a wife with a great job or a nice inheritance, there may be little choice. Just be wise (if there can be any wisdom in debt) and careful of high interest and multiple unsecured loans or credit cards. Keep it simple. I don't know the percentage but most people seem to become pilots through the civilian route. Military pilots usually stay in the military for a while. Nobody has a helicopter they can just jump in anytime which is why you need to find a school that rents there helicopters for around $200-250/hour.

Parker

What is the best way to log in the extra 800 hours after the 200 from flight school? I ask this because I wouldn't be able to afford 800 hours at $200 an hour, $160,000.

What is the best way to log in the extra 800 hours after the 200 from flight school? I ask this because I wouldn't be able to afford 800 hours at $200 an hour, $160,000.

Get your CFI and become a flight instructor. That way you're getting paid to get the 800 hours you need to get a job doing something else.