Mountain Flying Experience

chamerican

I've noticed in some job announcements that require and approved Mtn. Flying course. I realize that military training doesn't apply in these situation but will these companies consider a pilot with mountain flying experience. For example, by the time I leave Afghanistan I will have flown about 700hrs in terrain up to 13.5 and most of our LZ's are above 7000'? Just trying to make a little sense of how applicants experience is weighed.

You will generally see Forest Service Jobs in Canada or jobs up north requiring a Approved Mt Course. There are a couple of places in canada that offer these courses. In the US most employers that are looking for MT experence want someone to do utility or Fire work, and there are OAS requirments for that. Also employers are looking for real Mt Expirence (like you are getting) not 500 hours in 6000 foot conditions in Florida! Any way if you apply for positions and talk to the CP and let him know what you have been doing you should no have to many issues.

Good Luck

BEN

Chamerican,

Your experience would more than qualify you for most mountain experience requirements. All they are really asking for is actual mountain time. As we all know, there's a big difference in mountian/high altitude time vs. regular time.

If the company requires an OAS card, it's a checkflight with the forest service if you don't have it already.

Chamerican,

Your experience would more than qualify you for most mountain experience requirements. All they are really asking for is actual mountain time. As we all know, there's a big difference in mountian/high altitude time vs. regular time.

If the company requires an OAS card, it's a checkflight with the forest service if you don't have it already.

Thanks for the info guys. One thing I might ask in regard to the OAS check is whether or not that is something I would need to do on my own or are companies willing to hire you

without it and get you the check-out? In general I seem to see some announcements for employment that are posted for ages and don't get filled. There is one in Cali with SC Edison that has been on there a long while. It seems to me that the experience that their looking for is not something too many guys have. They ask for something like 3000TT, 500 in MD's/Astar, Mtn experience, and power line work. When companies like this can't find someone that meets all the criteria are they willing to bend or are they just going to wait until someone comes along that meets all the requirements? For instance, I know that Hummingbird is posting a requirement of 5000TT and Mtn experience for a job in Afghanistan but in reality their having trouble finding prospective employees and are willing to consider less. Just thinking out loud- am I that far off?

Edited by chamerican