A Squawking Transponder

I finally got to squawk a code. I did a flight and entered the airspace at EUG. The guy in the tower said to squawk 0333. I didn't quite hear clearly, so I asked again. He said 0333.

Ok, so I start moving the dials and I noticed that the first number went to 7 as I dialed the 3 on the second dial. I dial 0 on the first and dial 3 on the third dial and notice that the second dial has 4. I go back and dial 3 on the second and forget what the code is. I call the tower and ask for the code again. He tells me and I dial 3 on the third dial and 3 on the fourth, then notice the third dial has 2. Switch the third back to 3 and the fourth dial has 3.

FINALLY!!!!

The tower tells me they have radar contact and I can enter the class D.

Before I do that though, I do a couple of orbits over my house, and what a suprise-my spousal unit is in the back yard waving at me. Later she told me that she heard the blade slap and ran out into the back yard in her stocking feet and waved. I hope the neighbours weren't too mad.

Anyhow, whilst in the class D, the tower told a Citation that I was ahead of him and told me that he was behind me. The Citation passed me and I saw him, tower days he's in front of me and I reply that the Citation is in sight. Well, that's the first time I've done all that kind of stuff since 85. I dang near forgot how to do all that stuff.

It was a good flight. My grandkid liked the flight, and the pattern work back at Corvallis. He really liked the lloooonnnnnggggggg takeoff run some 5 feet agl...Maybe 10.

He really liked me letting him drive back to Eugene. He has his permit and needed the practice.

Later

Well, that's the first time I've done all that kind of stuff since 85.

Dude, you soooo need to do some flying in L.A. One 15 minute quick flight for me in any direction involves 3 airspaces, and you're flying under Class B for most the trip !!

Sounds like you had fun though, just stay away from 7777.

Goldy

Class B?! I have a hard enough time in uncontrolled airspace as it is.

Later

The tower tells me they have radar contact and I can enter the class D.

Not to be a killjoy... You know you don't need radar or permission to enter class D, just establish radio communications... Unless of course they tell you not to enter...

Edited by PhotoFlyer

Hey Photo? Um, I'm not gonna argue with the tower at this point. If they say I'm cleared while I'm outside, then I'll go in after I'm cleared. Besides, I think he was just saying that he knew where I was and that since he had me on the radar, it was OK to enter as opposed to entering without squawking a code and having him confused as to who I was and and stuff.

Or maybe it was a slip-up on his part?

Anyhow, it's of no concern to me, I still got to orbit my house finally.

Oh, did I tell you that my house is almost on the edge of EUG's airspace? Maybe a hundred yards? Cool huh?

Later

7777 is a hijacking right? would they send fighter jets after you?

Nope,..remember 7600 no comm...7700 bad stuff in the cockpit-any emergency qualifies, 7500 is the hijack code, and the Vegas 4 7's is military intercept ops. Just remember to avoid sending any sevens !!

Nope,..remember 7600 no comm...7700 bad stuff in the cockpit-any emergency qualifies, 7500 is the hijack code, and the Vegas 4 7's is military intercept ops. Just remember to avoid sending any sevens !!

And if your military don't forget to set your transponder to 4000 in restricted or warning areas.