SPH-4 Helmet

halonx2o

I am new to this forum and I have but one or two questions.

I recently was given an SPH-4 helmet from a teacher of mine. I was also given a CB radio at the same time. In my shop class we are building a full scale hover craft. I was wondering, with this helmet and this CB radio would I be able to make an intercom system and/or a radio communication system where I could talk to someone while piloting the hover craft?

Thank you for the help.

I am new to this forum and I have but one or two questions.

I recently was given an SPH-4 helmet from a teacher of mine. I was also given a CB radio at the same time. In my shop class we are building a full scale hover craft. I was wondering, with this helmet and this CB radio would I be able to make an intercom system and/or a radio communication system where I could talk to someone while piloting the hover craft?

Thank you for the help.

You should be able to make them work together, as long as there is some sort of external jack on the radio. The plug needs to able to provide both audio and mic capability. You just need to make sure you won't have an impedence issue between the radio and the helmet. There are people on this board far more learned in the ways of things electrical, so hopefully, they will chime in. To quote Odball from "Kelly's Heroes"...."I don't fix 'em, I just drive 'em".

You should be able to make them work together, as long as there is some sort of external jack on the radio. The plug needs to able to provide both audio and mic capability. You just need to make sure you won't have an impedence issue between the radio and the helmet. There are people on this board far more learned in the ways of things electrical, so hopefully, they will chime in. To quote Odball from "Kelly's Heroes"...."I don't fix 'em, I just drive 'em".

I appreciate the help, its just the plug that comes off of the helmet is not the standard 1/4" jack. It's what i think is called a U174/U plug. Im just not sure how to convert it to the 1/4" jack.

Ooh, there's gonna be some cutting there. The better thing to do would be making an adapter to between the helmet and CB. If you can, I'd suggest finding an avionics shop and inquiring with a tech. More than likely, you'd need to buy some connerctors and such. A tech will have the knowledge you seek.

Later

It will definitely require some type of adapter. There was a post a while ago regarding the conversion of the single helicopter plug to the dual stuck-wing type plug (or vice versa). In any case, I believe someone included a wire diagram. I don't know if I would contact an avionics shop, but you might call Ham Radio Outlet. Those folks know all things radio. I'm pretty sure they require applicants for a job there to make an antenna out of two plastic sporks, some aluminum foil and a small ball of twine.

Well luckily my shop teacher owns a recording studio and knows his way around microphones and small electronics. I don't think that the impedence will be a problem because I am sure he will know how match it with the mike.

Also with the CB radio came a small black box, about the size of the CB, that has 4 1/4" jacks on it and connects to the CB through the mic outlet on the CB. I'm not really sure what its function is but I'm sure with some tinkering it could be useful and helpful.