Sweden

TheLorax

Not sure if this will help you too much, I've worked all over a lot of Scandinavian countries - not in the heli business but oil/gas (we flew in a lot of Dauphins though, my favourite ship). The thing most of the guys struggled with is the tax situation. They have unusual tax laws so you need to make sure you get some good advice.

You don't mention if you will be staying there as a permanent resident, or if you will be on a rota and travelling in from your country of residence. This will make a big difference to your tax situation so it's important you get good advice on it.

Anyone work/ed for any offshore companies in Sweden?

I don't think there is any offshore companies in Sweden.

Edited by FinR

by offshore i mean, any company that hires helicopter pilots to fly their helicopter offshore or over water or not over land.

The Lorax,

I understood what you were after. But there isn't any offshore business in Sweden, as far as i know.

Try Norway or Denmark instead, or Netherlands and (of course) GB...

Everything is possible but with FAA licence it is highly unlikely that any of the companies in the North Sea will employ you. You'd need a Jaa-certificate and that's not a cheap thing to do, and it's not easy / "straight forward" either.

I'd suggest you to try CHC global, you might end up flying in some "not so friedly country" first but might have a chance to move to something better after a while. :)

Norway for the win :P. I live in Norway and know a bit of the helicopter industry here. First of all: there is a big need for pilots(either fixed wing and helicopter). However, there is only need for pilots with experience, at least 1000-1500 hours. If you want to fly offshore, you will need an IR certificate and you generally have to be a very good pilot. There is also need for 1000-hours pilots interoir, without the IR. The money you can make is very good for sure! A first pilot offshore makes about 800 000-900000kr (approximatley 150 000 USD). An EMS-pilot makes about 1 000 000kr(rougly 180 000 USD) at an only 20% job! But the EMS-jobs are _hard_ to get!

If you would like to know anything more relating Norway/Scandinavia, I'll try to answer as good as posible.

Norway for the win :P. I live in Norway and know a bit of the helicopter industry here. First of all: there is a big need for pilots(either fixed wing and helicopter). However, there is only need for pilots with experience, at least 1000-1500 hours. If you want to fly offshore, you will need an IR certificate and you generally have to be a very good pilot. There is also need for 1000-hours pilots interoir, without the IR. The money you can make is very good for sure! A first pilot offshore makes about 800 000-900000kr (approximatley 150 000 USD). An EMS-pilot makes about 1 000 000kr(rougly 180 000 USD) at an only 20% job! But the EMS-jobs are _hard_ to get!

If you would like to know anything more relating Norway/Scandinavia, I'll try to answer as good as posible.

Does an FAA certificate suffice or would one need to get a JAA?

There is also need for 1000-hours pilots interoir, without the IR.

Do you mean slingload operations& other aerial work? Any particular companies that (might) have openings at the moment? :)

Jaa certificate is needed almost everywhere in Europe nowadays, Norway included. Faa licence can be converted to Jaa but it's not very cheap. And i quess the most expensive would be to convert the instrument rating...

And even if you have a licence, you still don't have the work permit. ;)

Edited by FinR

Yes, JAA is required to work in Europe!

Do you mean slingload operations& other aerial work? Any particular companies that (might) have openings at the moment? :)

No, IR(instrument rating). I don't know for sure any particular companies that have openings for the moment. Here is a Norwegian website containing some of the biggest companies in Norway. You can send them a e-mail and ask them. I can't help you anymore than that.

Jaa certificate is needed almost everywhere in Europe nowadays, Norway included. Faa licence can be converted to Jaa but it's not very cheap. And i quess the most expensive would be to convert the instrument rating...

And even if you have a licence, you still don't have the work permit. ;)

Correct, converting the IR is really EXPENSIVE, nearly as much as the certificate costs in USA! (Approximately 33 000 USD!)

I don't know how hard it is to get the work permit, but I guess that it isn't as hard as in USA. And once you're in, you get to be her more than two years(as I've understood it). Becoming a pilot is not easy, but once you've got a foot inside the door, it is sweet!