Animosity in the Helicopter World

Maybe it's just that "other" forum, I haven't seen it here near as much, but why do people act negatively towards other people within our industry that may work in a different field than they do?

I'm talking about the people who talk trash about Gulf pilots or EMS pilots or Utility pilots or Tour pilots.

I have friends all throughout this industry. Some of them fly tours, some fly utility, some fly EMS, some fly ENG. I personally could care less what each of them do as long as they enjoy it.

A lot of people it seems talk bad about working in the Gulf. Since this is my chosen area to work, I often wonder why. People say it's boring flying over water. I say I enjoy seeing the dolphins, sharks, manta rays, jellyfish, whales, turtles, etc. People say it sucks living on the gulf coast. I say I enjoy my house in Texas. People say it sucks working with Boudreaux and Thibodeaux. I say they're just good old boys trying to make a living and support their families and I have no problem with that. Some people say that working 7 On/7 Off is too big a sacrifice to make. I find that I get a lot more done around the house and spend more quality time with my family when I am home for that long stretch of time rather than working a 5/2 and being home each night for a couple of hours and then on the weekends.

Each area of expertise in our chosen profession has it's good points and it's bad points. The most important thing for anyone in any profession is to enjoy your job. If you're not enjoying your job, then perhaps you should try something else. You may find something out there that is more your speed and gives you the satisfaction that you are looking for. If your job really makes you feel so negative that you feel you need to belittle people who choose to make a living in a different area, then I would guess you're not truly happy doing what you are doing.

Anyway, my thought for the day. Seek out happiness in all that you do. It really is out there somewhere for each one of us.

It's just part of being human. No matter what field you're in, you will always find disgruntled types that are unhappy and want to talk crap no matter what the conditions. You could pay them a million dollars and let them fly as much as they want, where they want, and they'd still cry about something.

I had a 4500 hour ex EMS/GOM pilot doing rides and performances at air shows for me. We were at an airport getting fuel for the days rides when an EMS pilot walked over and said (in a demeaning voice) to my high time pilot, "Maybe some day you'll earn your wings and be a real pilot and not have to subject yourself to just rides." He then went on to talk about how great he was because he was flying EMS...not knowing that my pilot had done that (He took a year off from EMS to have "fun" again). My pilot responded, "I get to do 100 + take offs and landings everyday and have a ball doing it! Why would I want to sit and watch TV all day like you?"

On the "other" forum, I suspect that a majority of the posters in the EMS topics, are not pilots--they're the med crews (who seem to be a hell of a lot more passionate about their jobs, service area, and "mission".) We're frequently at hospitals with our competition and the pilots always talk to each other......but the med crew don't usually talk with the other med crews. Dirty looks, ignore each each other, etc. I don't get it, but I really don't care either.

On the "other" forum, I suspect that a majority of the posters in the EMS topics, are not pilots--they're the med crews (who seem to be a hell of a lot more passionate about their jobs, service area, and "mission".) We're frequently at hospitals with our competition and the pilots always talk to each other......but the med crew don't usually talk with the other med crews. Dirty looks, ignore each each other, etc. I don't get it, but I really don't care either.

Let me address that right there:

As a former EMT-B and firefighter (volunteer) I found the medical community at large to be a fairly negative and catty group of people to work for. Not all, but many had the backbiting down to an art form and a lot of them seemed very burned out. It was a shame because the patients pay the price. It's a demanding career and I believe there is a lot of disillusionment that takes place (or SOMETHING) and it's nuclear. You don't want to get any on you.

That being said, I agree with delorean...I see the same nonsense and I can tell you in the fire business that if you talk smack to the engineer you'll be walking home.

Each area of expertise in our chosen profession has it's good points and it's bad points. The most important thing for anyone in any profession is to enjoy your job. If you're not enjoying your job, then perhaps you should try something else. You may find something out there that is more your speed and gives you the satisfaction that you are looking for. If your job really makes you feel so negative that you feel you need to belittle people who choose to make a living in a different area, then I would guess you're not truly happy doing what you are doing.

Anyway, my thought for the day. Seek out happiness in all that you do. It really is out there somewhere for each one of us.

I couldn't agree more and posted my thoughts about it here. While nothing is perfect or forever, I absolutely love what I do. Long before I find myself getting even a little bit disenchanted about things I'll change or move on as I see necessary. Life is challenging and short; I plan on making the very best of every second while I'm here.

Bob