Educational Experience on Resume

I'm putting together my resume for flight instructor positions, and I have to put something to rest: I got a graduate degree from an Ivy-league school (in a field unrelated in any way to aviation). That carries with it some positive and negative stereotypes, and even though I don't fit those stereotypes, (I'm going to have just as hard a time as the next guy paying my loans on a flight instructor's salary), would it be a liability for me to list this school in the education section of my resume? Does it even matter that I have a degree beyond a Bachelor's?

thanks for your thoughts.

absolutely put it down!!

you would be doing yourself a disfavor by not putting it down.

I don't care what it is in... a grad degree sets you apart from the other guys and shows dedication, ability to learn, maturity..... possibly setting you up to be a superior instructor. Sure you still have to impress them with your personal skills and flying ability.

It depends entirely on the individual job/company. There is no correct answer here, because every job is different. Personally, I would put it in the resume, because it's part of your history. If nothing else, it shows that you're at least marginally educated, can probably read and speak grammatically, and have the ambition and persistence to get the degree, and that can carry over to other vocations. I can't speak for every potential employer out there, though. There are a few idiots doing the hiring and firing.

Education higher than High School does show you are trainable and opens up other opportunities within the company. Beyond a Bachelor's you may have to answer the question on why you are where you are. Just be honest.

Be aware that there are some in position of authority that will feel threatened by applicants that have higher than average education or experience.

Edited by rick1128

Ask yourself if you really need your employment decided by someone like rick1128 mentions. My answer is decidedly not.

Bob

Unfortunately, Bob they exist in just about every industry. And YOU will never know who these people are. Plus you will never be told why you application was rejected. Fortunately, they tend to be few and far between, but they do exist.

Have 1 resume w/ your education on it and another w/o it. After speaking to the person in-charge of hiring, you should have a good feel of what to do. I would think that if the hiring person were the owner/principal, listing your education would be a good thing (they own the company, no reason to feel insecure)

btw, I have an MPA from Harvard. The only reason I went was bec. it was free; I was a Mid-Career applicant/scholarship recipient. I had to promise (in writing) my police dept. that I would stay 3 years past my retirement date.