Crimes of felonies and misdemenors.

I went and got a medical yesterday, and as I was filling out the form, I noticed that a couple of questions dealt with driving convictions and other misdemenors. That got me to thinkin' last night; What does that have to do with my health? I mean, if I were a felon that robbed a bank to pay for training, how would that affect whether I were in adequate physical shape to fly? It's not like jail time stresses me out that I have a heart attack. That hip hop rap crap does that.

Anyway, I need a new prescription for glasses, and I can see the reasoning for that. Driving convictions? Again, how does that affect health? DUI I can understand, to a point, but others? Give me a break.

So, that's my rant for the month.

Later

Edited by Witch

The FAA uses it as a cross check. They will plug your information into the FBI computer and the NHSI computer to see if your name comes up. If they catch you lying, the FAA will revoke your medical and certificates. Then watch your blood pressure go up.

One of the requirements for an ATP is good moral character.

Well throw me on the griddle and call me pancake! Right there it is 61.153©.

That, however, is for ATP's, not private pilots. That in itself makes me query the system as a whole. I then ask the question; If one is not being licensed to be a pilot, then why are medicals required? As a trucker, commercial driver, a medical is required by the DOT to hold a commercial driver license. As a private motorist, no medical is necessary. Both are regulated by the DOT, and State. So if a motorist needs no medical, then why should a private pilot be required to have one. That's not making a connection in my Vulcanesque brain.

Anyhow, the "moral character" thing seems to be subjective to say the least. Magic Johnson, Bill Clinton, Priests... Delta pilots. I bet there're quite a few ATP's out there with moral character less than good, so then are pilots supposed to be held to a higher standard? Like cops, politicians, Boy Scouts...?

But I digress. That's what happens when I start thinking. It's part of that "Left-Wing conspiracy" thingy.

Later

haha that is funny. i think it's also there to check for DUIs, drug charges, and other things so they have it on record. I think potential employers can check those records also; not the mention, the FAA. I think this has already been said in some way or another..

It sucks!

But I digress. That's what happens when I start thinking. It's part of that "Left-Wing conspiracy" thingy.

Later

Left-Wing conspiracy? have you ever met any liberals? we can't agree on a time for dinner or which drawer to put socks and t-shirts in much less organize a CONSPIRACY. I for one tend to assume that the Left-Wing conspiracy is just a conspiracy to distract from the larger Alien-Cover-Up conspiracy.

All that stuff is supposed to be indicative of mental health. The thinking is if you show patterns of being a screw-up, you probably can't/won't follow all the rules and regs in that handy lil book we have.

Question...

I have been arrested before, however, it was 13yrs ago when i was a 18. Will this affect me getting a job after i complete my training?

That probably depends on what it was. ;)

They were not felonies, just misdemenors. I hung out with the wrong group of people, they sold me some stolen merchandise. But like i said, it was a long time ago i was a minor...

18 is considered an adult last time I looked not a minor. ;)