Hello everyone. I am interested in beginning training in the DFW area, and was wondering if any one has had experience with the Bell Helicopter Academy in Ft. Worth? I don't think that I will be able to train in the R22 because I am a pretty big guy and I understand there is a 240lb limit. I am wondering if the Bells will be more accommodating to my particular needs. Please if anyone has some information for me it would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Check out Sky Helicopters, Summit Helicopters, Rocky Point Aviation, Longhorn Helicopters, or All American Helicopters (there are some others that I can't think of). All fly the Schweizer 300, and some fly the R44. Bell is going to cost at least 3 times as much as any of those schools. If you can afford it, then go for it, but if you don't want to spend $1000/hour there are half a dozen other schools in the DF/W area that are just as good.

Edited by PhotoFlyer

If you want to fly for fun, give the R-44 a try. Bigger and easier to fly than the Schweizer, and more useful once you have a pilot certificate.

If you want to fly for a living, weight is going to be an issue for you.

They are all fun regardless, I'm just spoiled by the AC this summer in the 44. :D

So I took my Intro flight today in the Schweizer and I am hooked I want to start training ASAP. I am going to visit all the other schools in the area and work on trimming some weight before I sign up. (I don't have that much to lose) The only question I have is about flight insurance. Is it required to purchase insurance or is it just recommended?

Depends on the school and the insurance they have. It's best to ask the school about their insurance and how it covers you in the event of an accident. They shouldn't have any problem telling you about the insurance. If they do it doesn't mean you shouldn't fly there, but it's certainly a strike against them.