WOFT what's it like?

Hi, new guy here!

Let me introduce myself first, my name is Paul, I am 23, married no children (not in a hurry for them either), I have some college credits hours in gen. ed. classes but no degree. For the past 2 years I have been working full time as a draftsman. I am a volunteer firefighter, and as far as flight experience, I have none, I planned on getting my PPL out of high school, but my parents could not afford it and neither could I. I have always had an interest in flying in general, and particularly think I would enjoy flying a helicopter for an air ambulance service on down the road. My interest was pushed over the edge, into actually looking into flight training, a few weeks ago when a local Life-flight (sp?) helicopter landed near our fire station for a demostration to our members. I spent a good half hour afterwards talking to the pilot, be fore he had to return to the hospital. Of my options for becoming a pilot the one that sounds to offer the most reward for the least cut in income, is the army warrant officer program. I would like to know what I can expect if I choose to enter this program from others who are familiar with it.

- What are the chances I will be accepted with no previous flight experience?

- What are some typical duties, and what do you do when your not flying?

- How is the pay (i gotta ask)

- To anyone who has joined the military while married, how hard has teh decision been on both you and your spouse?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First off, do some research in the forum and you will find many of your answers....

Chances... Whatever YOU make of it. 0% if you don't try

Duties when you are not flying... Varies. TACOPS, Instructor, Maintenance, ALSE, Safety... Just name a few

Pay... Go to www.military.com they have all the pay charts on there.

Marriage... I was married after I joined the Army, but attended Rucker after I was hitched... Include her in everything. It will effect her more than you could imagine. I knew a guy in Flight School who let his kids pick the airframe that he was going to fly. Ha. Turns out he loves the one they picked for him.

CHAD

Edited by FLHooker

Thanks for the reply hooker (means you fly chinook right?)

First off, do some research in the forum and you will find many of your answers....

I tried, not new to forums, just this one. I found some of the answers I was looking for, the rest I asked in my first post.

Chances... Whatever YOU make of it. 0% if you don't try

What I was trying to ask here is, in general, do guys with no flight time, who are driven, and have the mental capacity for the job, get overrun by the guys who are already in the military, or have previous flight experience? Or are there enough jobs for guys like me?

Marriage... I was married after I joined the Army, but attended Rucker after I was hitched... Include her in everything. It will effect her more than you could imagine. I knew a guy in Flight School who let his kids pick the airframe that he was going to fly. Ha. Turns out he loves the one they picked for him.

That sounds like a really good idea that I had not heard or thought of.

What I was trying to ask here is, in general, do guys with no flight time, who are driven, and have the mental capacity for the job, get overrun by the guys who are already in the military, or have previous flight experience? Or are there enough jobs for guys like me?

I applied, with no flight time. I am driven. I have the mental capacity for the job. I was accepted and I start school this August. But like FLHooker said, you won't know if you'll make it unless you attempt a board selection with a packet.

If you have any other questions...let me know.

I always wondered what made people choose the Chinook! LOL :P

I'd guess cause it fly's, and flying is cool. Everyone is different, but to me, flying is flying, wheather your carrying toilets for officers in outposts or a critically injured soldier to medical help.

I dont mean to sound like an a$$, thats just my take on it. B)

Well, ROB... I've been told that there are 2 types of Helicopters... CH-47's and Slingloads.. HA! Sorry, I had to. I'm not saying that in our -10 (Operator's Manual) that we have all the information to sling the other aircraft.. but we do.

:D

HA! CHAD

Well, ROB... I've been told that there are 2 types of Helicopters... CH-47's and Slingloads.. HA! Sorry, I had to. I'm not saying that in our -10 (Operator's Manual) that we have all the information to sling the other aircraft.. but we do.

:D

HA! CHAD

You got me there! Sometimes I forget I am flying just a bus now. And the sucky part is it has no AC.

Well Rob, the Chinook has A/C... 6-100 A/C. 6 blades turning, 100 Knots!!! We even have in flight music... Blades-a-thumpin' by Large, Loud and Proud! I can deal without the A/C, for the simple fact that I get to fly a Chinook at tree top level, at whatever airspeed I want, piss off the people outside the training area who live in trailers.... pick up the slingload, fly it around, and GET TO LOG IT!!!!!!

I LOVE my job,

CHAD

Edited by FLHooker