Mauna Loa Helicopters?

Has anyone trained or know anyone who has trained at Mauna Loa Helicopters in Hawaii? I only see two reviews of the school and they are far from recent. I'd like to here some thoughts on the schools different locations, places to crash, any info at all would be helpful. Thanks :D

i tried my hardest to transfer there to finish my training, but those A-holes at Sallie Mae made that impossible. But from what i could tell, they have an swesome set up. I talked to Ben Fouts the owner almost every day and they had 2 people calling and emailing me trying to help get the loan transfered and help me find a place to live and so i was really impressed and very excited to get out there, but the end result was that Sallie Mae is stupid and i couldnt make it happen. Give Ben a call, he will be more then happy to talk and answer all your questions.

Has anyone trained or know anyone who has trained at Mauna Loa Helicopters in Hawaii? I only see two reviews of the school and they are far from recent. I'd like to here some thoughts on the schools different locations, places to crash, any info at all would be helpful. Thanks :D

But I don't wanna loose my only student! Nah, It's all good man. I thought I'd bump it to the top of the list for you seeing that you need some input soon.

Yup, give 'em a call. Nothing but good things. Honolulu base is smaller and chiller, Big Island base is bigger and busier. I ended up staying in Seattle but had good experiences dealing with MLH when I was thinking about transferring mid-way. :)

Thank you. I'm headed out there on the 6th of July. I decided to train out of Honolulu for now, we'll see how it goes (how bad can it be right?). As time passes and if I get a minute I'll type up a review of the school. As for the sexy Irish guy; Thanks for all of your patience and commitment Darren. Keep in touch buddy.

Edited by PAPI

• 1 month later...
Thank you. I'm headed out there on the 6th of July. I decided to train out of Honolulu for now, we'll see how it goes (how bad can it be right?). As time passes and if I get a minute I'll type up a review of the school. As for the sexy Irish guy; Thanks for all of your patience and commitment Darren. Keep in touch buddy.

Hey Papi, I too am looking at that school. Let me know what you think so far and how your first couple months have gone when you get a chance as there aren't many reviews about it for some reason.

hey buddy... i am planning to come at MLH this sep. Need your inputs... how r u liking the place & flying? How many hours are you through with as for now?

Aloha! Not sure where you guys are from or what your backgrounds are? All I can tell you is that coming out here was the best decision I have ever made! I arrived in Honolulu on July 6th, started flying on the 10th with 147 hrs. I passed my commercial checkride on the 12th of August took a one day breather, and jumped right back into my CFI training. I'm flying twice a day with ground in the middle. This place is no joke! I'm from New York and have never flown this type of terrain before, nor have I seen anything quite as beautiful. The off airport training is unbelievable! Everyday is an experience. These guys know there stuff, I was pleasantly surprised with the caliber of instructors. My skills have sky rocketed since I've been here. Highly recommended! Honolulu is a smaller school but we definitely have everything we need. As of now there are four helicopters, four CFI/CFII's and one of the best ground school instructors I’ve ever dealt with. I never have a problem with scheduling, and I actually have to force myself to check the weather. Two thumbs up from me :D

Two negatives:

(1) I am probably spoiled now and I can't imagine ever flying in a more diverse/beautiful location again.

(2) Leaving here is going to be extremely difficult.

I can back PAPI up on this. Hawaii is the best place to fly.

Mauna Loa has 3 schools- 1 oahu, 1 kona and 1 at kauai.

We have gusty winds, offshore cross country, 13,000 ft mountains and the highest cliffs in the world at 3000 ft(molokai).

Oahu is in class bravo airspace at HNL.

How many helicopter schools can offer all this?

Its a small school, laid back but very professional.

Working on my commercial, getting spoiled in the R44. :rolleyes:

No more cliff diving PAPI!

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I am form the UK and hoping to go out to Hawaii and train with MLH and as there are not many recent posts about this place I was wondering if all of the older posts are still correct?

I have heard nothing but good things about MLH and I was hoping that this is still the case? In terms of the quality of the training and the size/personal one-on-one traning of the school; whether it's still a small personable school or if it's become bigger in recent years? I anyone has trained there or is currently training I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers

Hi all,

I am form the UK and hoping to go out to Hawaii and train with MLH and as there are not many recent posts about this place I was wondering if all of the older posts are still correct?

I have heard nothing but good things about MLH and I was hoping that this is still the case? In terms of the quality of the training and the size/personal one-on-one traning of the school; whether it's still a small personable school or if it's become bigger in recent years? I anyone has trained there or is currently training I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers

Hi

I completed my CFI there July 2011. The school is amazing. I am in europe right now and heading back to Hawaii in a few weeks ... If you want to email me with your questions it's pilotheath@gmail.com

I have photos of all 3 islands you train on (I opted for Big Island and Kauai )

I also have some pictures of the student accommodation and can give you a lot of tips that can make your life easier before you arrive and after you arrive. I suggest that you look for an F1 Visa (for non US Students) as this will allow you to work for upto 2 years as an instructor to build your time.

Dan

• 1 year later...

update!!!

If you are seriously considering a flight school you must ensure that they are one of the schools you evaluate.

Anyone wanting more information, tips on getting through the course in an economic way , living tips and even updates on the job market in China you are welcome to email me at pilotheath@gmail.com . I will do my best to respond as quickly as i can. I am now flying in China. You can see some of the things we are doing here: www.greatwallhelitours.com

Fly Safe thumbs.gifthumbs.gifthumbs.gif

• 7 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Update: So its been almost 8 years since i last posted here and a lot of people have emailed me over the years for info on Mauna Loa. Some things have changed - over there - and the helicopter market has evolved.  

If you are interested in attending this school - reach out and i can assist you with advice from training, living, making the most of your cash - and most importantly - how to plan ahead for the next step after the trianing is done - and you are  thinking of heading home with the all important 1000 hours under your belt.   You wont get all that time training - but you will get 200 hours in your log book to be come an instructor - another few hundred as instructor - then the rest as a tour pilot .... thats the normal way - but tour positions are competative - learn what it takes to get ahead 🙂

check out some of the images from my flying on instagram @danheath808