Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:02

Anyways, I've been keeping my eyes on all the regional programs popping up.  If I can find one that will base me out of Seattle then I'll consider applying.  Otherwise, no thanks.  I'd really like to stay in the rotary world, but I also really want to move back to WA.  Tough decisions!!

Yeah, your only real options for that are Skywest and Horizon. There's...a lot of discontent in the Horizon ranks, to put it lightly and their current situation is not looking good. Cancelling dozens of flights a day and hundreds a month due to lack of pilots, yet their most recent pay package still doesn't put them in the top 50% of the new pay packages other regionals are offering. Plus rumor of them not honoring certain agreed-upon aspects of it. Skywest also recently came out with a pay package that some of their pilots are calling "embarrassing" and is locked in for the next 5 years, precisely during the time when all the other regionals will be fighting over new pilots and thus raising pay to entice them. The ironic thing is Skywest used to have the happiest pilots from what I can gather. Things are changing.

#22 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:50

Spot on.  Lots of my friends are Horizon or SkyWest pilots.  A few of them just got hired to Alaska but are waiting on class dates.  It's one of the main reasons I want to stay away from the airlines.  I watched these guys get hired back in 2006/7 and then almost immediately get furloughed.  Most of them were CFIs when I started flying back in 2005 and they are just now making it to a major airline.

That said, I'm very envious of the fact that they've been able to remain in Washington.  To be completely honest I've had thoughts of leaving professional flying entirely and using my GI bill to do something else.  That's coming from a guy who's been obsessed with flying since I was a kid and absolutely loves it when I'm in the cockpit.  We'll see what happens in the next couple months.

Edited by SBuzzkill, 06 July 2017 - 12:51.

• Lindsey and WOCDANIELS23 like this

#23 stearmann4

stearmann4

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 15:26

You have a point there.  It took me a year trying three different FSDOs and a friend who knew a guy in order to get an appointment and get my paperwork processed.  It really should't be that hard but it is.  Still, I do not regret skipping out on the $80.00.  It's the principle of the thing, LoL!

Anyways, I've been keeping my eyes on all the regional programs popping up.  If I can find one that will base me out of Seattle then I'll consider applying.  Otherwise, no thanks.  I'd really like to stay in the rotary world, but I also really want to move back to WA.  Tough decisions!!

Go assess for MH-47s, you can stay at Ft Lewis long enough to pay your house off.

• Creep0321 likes this

#24 stearmann4

stearmann4

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 21:19

That $80.00 sign off is such a f*cking rip off.  I did it for free through a FSDO, it was a pain to get an appointment but I have no regrets.

FSDOs are an option, but keep in mind, for as many different FSDOs that exist, so to do that many different interpretations of the FARs. Your FAA certificates granted for military competency are easy at FSDOs near Rucker that speak "Army". Go to one in another state and you may be told you don't qualify. It very subjective based on the inspector. Also, if you schedule an appointment at a FSDO, you volunteer yourself for an impromptu oral by the examiner prior to granting you the certificate. I took my certificates into the Renton, WA FSDO from the fixed wing course and ended up giving a POI to the examiner for the whole AQC before he would accept my 8710.

I also took my IPC certificate to one FSDO that would only give my a rotorcraft CFI, I took it to another that gave me a rotorcraft CFII based on the course description. Another 5K saved. Your mileage may vary. Spend the $80...

Mike-

• Wally, Lindsey, Dnr032 and 2 others like this

#25 METT-TC

METT-TC

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying

Posted 13 July 2017 - 19:07

When I turned in my mil equivalency last year (Com RW & CFII), the Las Vegas FSDO RW inspector essentially offered me a job as his counterpart (declined as I knew I was relocating in the near term).

Life is like a box of chocolates...

• Creep0321 likes this

#26 CharyouTree

CharyouTree

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Company working for:Student/MAARNG

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:43

When I turned in my mil equivalency last year (Com RW & CFII), the Las Vegas FSDO RW inspector essentially offered me a job as his counterpart (declined as I knew I was relocating in the near term).

Life is like a box of chocolates...

You know what they say: "It's dependent on METT-TC".

...I'll see myself out.

• METT-TC likes this

#27 CharyouTree

CharyouTree

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Company working for:Student/MAARNG

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:45

I took my certificates into the Renton, WA FSDO from the fixed wing course and ended up giving a POI to the examiner for the whole AQC before he would accept my 8710.

Mike-

I walked out of my FSDO with commercial SEL and MEL.

The biggest confusion was the guy not knowing that FSI has actual airplanes, and not just simulators.

#28 METT-TC

METT-TC

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:13

You know what they say: "It's dependent on METT-TC".

...I'll see myself out.

That works (for just about anything). ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ColoradoHeliOpsHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeAble_VRHOme200Genesys VR Forum 200DevoreHome200NFCVRForum200HomePrecisionVRForumHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200