Air National Guard or National Guard

I hope this isn't already a post, but if it is I apologize in advance. So I really want to learn to fly helicopters and I feel like the military is the best route to go. My dream is to fly for a State Police someday but I heard it is very hard and competitive to get a spot. I know it is the same for the military but at least this way if I do get the slot I would learn for free. I would like to have a foot in the civilian world with a career, but at the same time to be able to learn/fly helicopters for either the ANG or the NG part time. I just have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help answer: Which route (ANG or NG) would have a higher chance of me getting a flight school spot? How long does it typically take to learn to fly for both the ANG and NG? How long are the service commitments? Are they both very competitive? What can I do to boost my chances? How often would you be flying? How often are you deployed overseas for both branches? Would you recommend one over the other? If you have any other information I should know please feel free to tell me!

• Like 1

A lot of your answers will be found in the military forum on down the page.

If you want helicopters you will want to do Army National Guard. Not sure if Air Guard even has helicopters. Maybe a couple search and rescue bases if I remember correctly. Whereas each state has an army aviation unit.

Unless in very special circumstances you will have to enlist first to put in a packet for WOFT. You could always go CO if your state has a flight slot available, however.

Selection rates are very high for active duty warrant officer flight training applicants right now. It'll vary state by state on the Guard side.

To boost your chances:

Get an education

Meet and impress the right people

Start getting a background in aviation, whether that's a fixed wing license, a job at an fbo where you can meet people, enlist into an aviation MOS, and be as physically fit as you can be. PT is what sets people apart in the army.

On the Guard side, deployments depend on the political climate, but your state will also do rotations to spell out other states or AD units. Great opportunity to build flight time.

Oh sorry I should've looked in that forum area first before making this post. Okay so it seems like Army National Guard is the better route to go. I do believe ANG has helicopters but its a very limited amount. I do plan on getting my PPL in either fixed wing or helicopter after I graduate college next year, but I am just trying to figure out options for myself before I graduate. Thanks for your help!

Don't join the Army because you want to be a pilot and get free flight training without seriously researching everything that comes it. You could potentially do ten years as a pilot after flight school (so 12 years total service) and not reach 1500 hours, the minimum for a lot of civilian helicopter jobs.

Yes that is also very true. I know Im going to have to sacrifice a lot to achieve my dream of flying for a career, not only if I joined the Army but if I learned to fly through the civilian route as well. Both have very big trade offs that I am just going to have to accept, even if it's a big sacrifice. I just need to do my research for both civilian and military now to help make my decision that best fits my needs. But I do understand what you are saying too. The military is more than just flying helicopters, its a commitment to your country and something that shouldn't be taken lightly. Do you have any recommendations on any civilian flight schools? Or any other paths i should take?