7 replies to this topic

#1 Airjunkie

Airjunkie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 23:58

I have 2 hours in a R22 and i just quit flying fixed-wing. My heart wasn't into it.

When I did two lessons in rotary, i loved every second of it. i quit because two reasons. 1. The cost was way too much. 2. There are no jobs.

Now at 27 years of age I realized I should have just chased my dream from the get go.

I have 50k. No debt, no job. I am quite lost, but i am certain I want to fly helicopters. I even stress because If i become a cfi and get hired, I am 6'5 205lbs. It may be hard for me to teach even the rare student I would be lucky to get.

I kind of ruled out military, except i guess the warrant officer program is available. I really do not want to serve though. So that is out of the question.

I'm just lost in all this. Do I find ~ $70,000 loan on top of my $50,000 and go all the way through commercial?

Will my size be an issue in the R22? What should my next steps be?

#2 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:05

Take that 50k, go to college, get a degree in whatever high tech companies require, move to Silicon Valley, get a job making sh*t loads of money, buy an R22, get your Private, and fly for fun on the weekends!
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#3 Airjunkie

Airjunkie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:10

Damn, I wish.

Already did business management degree. Complete waste of 4 years. I am retiring from pro sports (i chose one that didnt pay too well haha).

I just want to fly, finding it may have to be a recreational dream now.

#4 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 13:37

Call me.  Move into free housing in Miami.  I'll show you have to study ground school for next to nothing.  I'll guarantee you a job.  Bought another R22 Mariner today, a plane last month.  Tom  561-346-2816  Advertiser on this site from the beginning.  Our program is $82K for 300 hours and cfi.  Have credit union finance for the rest that you don't have and might co-sign.

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#5 Airjunkie

Airjunkie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 00:45

I guess I will shamelessly start asking around for money.

#6 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:49

I guess I will shamelessly start asking around for money.

Just note that most entry level jobs have a flight weight limit of 185 lbs.
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#7 Airjunkie

Airjunkie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 14:36

Just note that most entry level jobs have a flight weight limit of 185 lbs.

Well sh*t. At 6'5 205, I cant really lose anymore weight. My mom or girlfriend will think I am dying.

#8 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 16:14

I am pushing the 240 limit... but the Huey can take it.  The old 58's... a bit more difficult with a big TFO next to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anthelion_VRFTForum200702HeliVRFT200UNDVRFTForum200GuidanceVRFTForum200JerryTrimblePrecision_FTForum200Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200VOLO_VRFT200