• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:11

During my commercial checkride my examinar told me to do a max takeoff to 100' with no forward movement, or I'd fail.

During my checkout flight with Helislave the check pilot (who was also a DPE) told me to yo-yo straight up to 100' then straight back down.

Now I got scolded (then banished) from pprune for not being outraged that these examinars would dare ask me to do this (and for defending the R22 and not licking the Cabri's balls,...they're so delicate over there!) so I thought I'd ask here,...

Did any of you do straight up max takeoffs during your training and/or checkrides?

,...not arguing the dangers of such a maneuver, just looking to see if I'm the only one who has ever been asked to do this by a DPE,...?
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#2 kona4breakfast

kona4breakfast

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 21:17

If you're not in the HV curve, then an airplane could do your job.

• overtorque likes this
I told my mom I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.  She told me I couldn't do both.

#3 Hobie

Hobie

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:10

Can you 180 the ship in hover and takeoff backwards into the wind -- no forward speed.  Please can you post pprunelink.  I would like to read there take on this.

#4 twinhueyman

twinhueyman

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:10

It's a valid technique. Sticking to just the HFH definition of a Max P can lead to people wrapping helicopters around trees trying to get out of more confined spots.

The three Max P's I teach are 1. Max Performance (pull TOP and 40kt attitude, HFH style), 2. Altitude over Airspeed (pull TOP, climb vertically until clear of obstacles then accelerate), and 3. Airspeed over Altitude (normal takeoff profile using TOP to get ETL/climb airspeed sooner).

I've had to do all 3 in the past on evaluated flights with DPEs and check airmen. I've heard of at least one checkride failure from a pilot doing the HFH method in a confined spot and the examiner having to take controls to avoid hitting trees.

Mike

#5 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 22:52

Remember "No gap, no go".

There has to be a gap between your rotor disc and any obstacle. If no obvious gap, climb vertically until it appears, then lower the disc until it is almost touching the obstacle, but keep a gap there.

• Wally likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GuidanceVRFTForum200JerryTrimblePrecision_FTForum200Anthelion_VRFTForum200UNDVRFTForum200702HeliVRFT200VOLO_VRFT200Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200