Commercial Helo Requirements Questions...

The FARs state that you need 10 hours of "instrument training" for a commercial helo but what I want to know, does this 10 hours have to come from a CFII or can a regular CFI do it? I know an airplane CFI can teach simulated instrument or hood time to someone working on their private airplane single engine land but does a CFI helo have the privileges to put someone under the hood and teach (excluding the safety pilot stuff)? Thanks

The FARs state that you need 10 hours of "instrument training" for a commercial helo but what I want to know, does this 10 hours have to come from a CFII or can a regular CFI do it? I know an airplane CFI can teach simulated instrument or hood time to someone working on their private airplane single engine land but does a CFI helo have the privileges to put someone under the hood and teach (excluding the safety pilot stuff)? Thanks

14 CFR §61.195© states:

§ 61.195 Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.

A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:

© Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument flight training for the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR must hold an instrument rating on his or her flight instructor certificate and pilot certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft in which instrument training is being provided.

Therefore, my conclusion is that since it is not an instrument rating, the CFI does not need a CFII to give you that training.

Airplane CFI's are required to have an instrument rating on their pilot certificate, whereas helicopter CFI's are not. I'm not sure what that has to do with your question, but I typed it out anyways. :D

~Jeff

14 CFR §61.195© states:

Therefore, my conclusion is that since it is not an instrument rating, the CFI does not need a CFII to give you that training.

Airplane CFI's are required to have an instrument rating on their pilot certificate, whereas helicopter CFI's are not. I'm not sure what that has to do with your question, but I typed it out anyways. :D

~Jeff

I have come to the same conclusion and have talked to an FAA examiner (not a designated,

and not that it really matters) and he agrees. He will accept helicopter instrument training

from a CFI. Some may not, but it's clear in the regs that if it's not for a rating, it's

acceptable. May as well do it with a CFII so it can go towards the rating, though.

There was a big discussion at out FSDO about this a few months ago. Several questions were asked concerning instrument flight training and what is required for it to applicable to a rating. The FSDO requested guidance from the federal level and the response is posted below.

QUESTION: Does the instrument training required by § 61.65© and (d) for the Instrument-Helicopter rating have to be given by a flight instructor who holds a instrument helicopter rating on his/her flight instructor certificate? Does the instrument training required by § 61.129©(3)(i) for just the Helicopter rating at the commercial pilot certification level have to be given by a flight instructor who holds a instrument helicopter rating on his/her flight instructor certificate?

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.195©; Yes, the instrument training required by § 61.65© and (d) for the Instrument Helicopter rating has to be given by a flight instructor who holds a instrument helicopter rating on his/her flight instructor certificate.

Yes, the instrument training required by § 61.129©(3)(i) for the helicopter rating at the commercial pilot certification level has to be given by a flight instructor who holds a instrument helicopter rating on his/her flight instructor certificate.

{Q&A-170e}

So that is what the examiners here (both DPE's and the Inspectors) are going by now.

-Steve

Its a really strange rule. Private pilot airplane students need 3 hrs of instrument training prior to taking their checkride. A CFI can give this instrument training. It does NOT count toward their instrument training requirement though since it didn't come from a CFI though.

The only reason I can think of why John Lynch interpreted the regs that way in the FAQs was because airplane CFIs must hold an instrument rating in airplanes prior to getting their CFI. Helicopter pilots don't have to hold an instrument rating for their CFI, and that rule for the 10 hrs of instrument training only came around about 10-15 yrs ago if memory serves. So there's plenty of CFI's flying around who [could] have never had one minute of instrument training.

If you plan to use that 10 hrs toward the "20 hrs of dual" required for your instrument rating, it surely needs to be from a CFII.

Either way, just pay the extra money and get the helicopter instrument time. It's ten extra HELICOPTER hours in your book, halfway toward the dual requirement for the instrument rating, and most importantly, it could save you azz big time some day.