Maryland State Police ship down - 1 survivor

FlyNHighNFast

Sadly, another ship down and 4 lives lost. Weather was a factor.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/28/medivac.crash/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A medical evacuation helicopter crashed in suburban Washington late Saturday night, leaving four people dead, a Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman said.

The Maryland State Police helicopter was en route to Prince George's Hospital with two patients who had been critically injured in a Charles County, Maryland, car crash.

The copter went down in the Ritchie, Maryland, area, spokesman Mark Brady said.

The pilot, a paramedic, an emergency medical services technician and one of the patients were killed, he said.

The other patient -- a teenage girl -- survived the crash and is being treated at a hospital, he said.

The pilot radioed that he was diverting back to his base at Andrews Air Force Base to avoid bad weather just before midnight, Brady said.

Two ambulances were sent to Andrews to meet the helicopter and carry the patients to the trauma center.

But radio contact with the helicopter was lost, and the wreckage was found after a two-hour search, Brady said.

The helicopter crashed on a park trail in the Capitol Heights/Ritchie communities, just east of the District of Columbia, he said

Sadly, another ship down and 4 lives lost. Weather was a factor.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/28/medivac.crash/index.html

Unbelievable. These guys had an exhibit at last years HAI/Houston, I think they were taking delivery of a new ship. Very professional group...I'm in shock, but like we have seen before, weather and darkness are often fatal. My condolences to the families.

NO matter what the logo on the side of your helicopter or the color of your flight suit, none of that really matters when we lose a crew. The people on that helicopter were just doing their job just like the team working for PHI in the SW, AMC in the NW, AEL in the Midwest, or Omni in the SE.

A job NO different than I have done and no different than many of you. Their plan was to do their job until the end of the shift and then go home to mom or dad, and the kids. Well.....now they're not. Just like that. In the blink of an eye, everything has changed. Hopefully none of us will ever forget that. IT CAN BE YOU or ME at any time. Even if we do everything right, it can still happen.

Hopefully we as an industry can summon the gumption to reverse the terrible trend of 2008, because quite frankly we are tired of losing our brothers and sisters.

The VR team would like to extend our sincere condolences to the MSP team and the families of those who paid the ultimate price.