Heli-Expo 2009

rjl2001

For people that have been to Heli-Expo before, do you think it would be worth it for a future student to attend? I'm still looking at a couple different flight schools, and if i can get the financing I need, plan on starting a program somewhere in roughly six months. But since I live in Florida, this trip would end up costing me some money. I figure I can go to Heli-Expo in Anaheim, or save the money to pay for about 5 hours of flight time when I start training. Are there classes that would be geared towards new student pilots, or mostly of value to experienced pilots?

Also, what do you have to do to get the student rate of $10? I have my student pilot certificate, but have only flown 3 hours in the last year. I know some CFI's at the local flight school, could a note from them help to get that rate? Otherwise, not sure I'd consider going if I had to pay $265 to get in.

thanks

I got in for $10 with a note from a CFI (on the schools letterhead). As a student, I wouldn't waste the time or money. I had some hours at the time and was sniffing around for a job. No

success.

If the show were fairly local, I would consider going as there are usually at least one local school exhibiting at the show. The show itself is mostly a trade show. However, there are classes that are conducted prior to the show and meetings during the show. After you get your private, especially if you are considering going beyond that point, I would look into going to the classes. There are several good ones that teach things that are not normally discussed or are presented not very well during normal training. The things that come to mind are 'Flying in the wire environment' and 'Mountain flying'. There are also operator meetings that might interest you. Plus the job fair, where you can make initial contacts. This year I am planning on attending the CFI renewal program there. It is the only helicopter CFI renewal program out there.