R22 down in San Diego. No injuries.

Some fairly clueless reporting from the media as usual, but the lifeguard guy explains it quite well, and from that, looks like problems bringing back the power during the flare. Of course, the news loves to highlight the negative aspect of the whole thing at the end. In their rush to stir up sh1t, they failed to report that there can be fairly decent delays in FAA paperwork making it into their computer system.

Glad everyone is ok. Well done to them for putting her down, skids down and not up. Sand can be tricky.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9866095

Another one,

http://www.kpbs.org/news/local?id=13884

Eh the media story doesn't sound right at all. Why on earth would they being power recoveries to a beach where there was people swimming and surfing. Looks more like a tailboom chop or they hit the tail on the ground during the flare. "They hit the ground so hard the tail broke off!"

Edited by slick1537

Yea, the news report last night was so bad it was funny. Wild speculation by "surfers" who were the "eye witnesses" and the media was rampant.

Then they pulled the "the helicopter should not have been flying" bit to stir the pot. I can tell you it took many months to get my helo registration back due to the fact that it was registered to an LLC.

Amazing...

the guy in the 2nd video stated that it was a tail boom chop. It's always funny to hear what reporters say - they have to think on their feet (uh, no comment there) and they ask questions and maybe the guy selling hot dogs becomes an expert to them

Good point about the delayed registration. Funny that the FAA guy sounded clueless about that though...whether he could answer the question better or not.

We "audition" for jobs now? Geez, I always thought that was called an interview. I didn't know I would have to sing and dance AND fly helicopters!

Doesn't look like the tailboom chopped, the main rotor blades looked pretty good. So maybe the tail hit the sand, or he hit the sand so hard...who knows! Glad all are ok.

Actually the one cop they interviewed must have been a pilot, he actually knew what he was talking about.

I'm just wondering how a guy from the east coast knew about this one before I did !!

Goldy

Okay. Maybe I don't understand this concept because over the years my feet have taken quite a pounding and, in their current state, are very unappealing and quite stinky. But seriously... If I were the media, I wouldn't want to keep putting my foot in my mouth over and over again. (Sorry... I couldn't resist!)

Every time an aircraft crashes or makes an emergency landing, the media is there to spout back whatever the nearest moron says. They don't even talk to the NTSB anymore because the only thing they will say is that it is under investigation and there won't be any conclusive results for a few weeks (Who can wait that long to know something that doesn't effect them, right?). In this case they even went out of their way to put something derogitory on the news about the registration when they couldn't even get the FAA to verify that there was any wrongdoing. Responsible media my a$$. If I ever find myself in that situation I'm going to tell them that my Robbie is really an alien space craft and I'm here to prepare the humans of earth for harvest. How much you wanna bet they'll believe me and put it on as fact?

J-

I'm just wondering how a guy from the east coast knew about this one before I did !!

Ha, well Goldy the thing is;

California + Nice not too cold weather with plenty of witnesses swimming around in the Pacific = Helicopter guys B) on the west coast being nice and busy.

NY/NJ + 32015G30 +Darren's students(all under 200hours) + Robinson R22's = Darren( :( ) sitting on his new sofa flying his laptop, reading Vertical Magazine daily news email that tells him all the helicopter scandal around the country!!

Ha, well Goldy the thing is;

California + Nice not too cold weather with plenty of witnesses swimming around in the Pacific = Helicopter guys B) on the west coast being nice and busy.

NY/NJ + 32015G30 +Darren's students(all under 200hours) + Robinson R22's = Darren( :( ) sitting on his new sofa flying his laptop, reading Vertical Magazine daily news email that tells him all the helicopter scandal around the country!!

Yeah, I went up yesterday to do my SFAR sign off in the 22. Problem is, I havent flown a 22 in 3 months...however it went well. I still remember how to do an auto and everything. Anyway, the visibility was down to say 25 miles, winds were raging at about 9 knots.....ceiling about 25,000. Horrible weather out here, but I struggle thru it, its good SVFR experience!

Goldy

Goldy, you had it hard! It's a wonder you passed! ;) Glad to see you are curent again and back over the skies of L.A.

Don't know if anyone else picked up on it but it would seem the R-22 in question wasn't airworthy. Perhaps it was mechanicaly but there are some paperwork issues such as the registration having been suspended???? I wonder how the rest of the audition turned out?

JD

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot