enstrom 280c shark

viking

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a 1977 280c shark and due to the lack of enstroms here in Australia there seem to be a range of outback stories as to daily checks, startup, hot starts, and shutdown proceedures.

I would appriciate any informatiom in this area or any other things I ought to know.

I have Bell47 and R44 time but flying this 280 was a very big and pleasant surprise, it loves to fly, but seems to have a little bad press down here. I look forward to flying it around Australia.

Thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

Viking

as far as hot starts, I'd be impressed if you had one in a 280C. I did all my training in Enstroms, provided training in Enstroms, and they are GREAT ships. good choice for a personal aircraft.

as far as hot starts, I'd be impressed if you had one in a 280C. I did all my training in Enstroms, provided training in Enstroms, and they are GREAT ships. good choice for a personal aircraft.

Viking,

I own a 28C which is basically the same as the 280C. The only real difference is the airframe. The maintenance manual is the same. There are no abnormal daily checks. Just a standard preflight. It has a fuel injected engine that does require some prep for starting a warm engine. I usually just flood it and use the flooded engine procedure which works fine. The biggest issue I have had with the helicopter is turbo lag. But once you get used to it, it really is not a problem.

You will enjoy the machine and wonder why anyone would even consider owning something else.

You will love your enstrom. The hardest part of an enstrom ownership is finding a good mechanic that knows them inside and out. Many times you'll end up paying for the learning curve which can cost you tens of thousands. Find a good mech!

I've uploaded a good preflight checklist and an engine start-up/shutdown checklist for your use. I've owned and operated 3 280C's and love them all!

Welcome to the Enstrom world!

john

Enstrom_Piston_Preflight_N5695A.doc

Enstrom_Preflight_N5691W.doc

You might also find some helpful info and support at the Enstrom forum that Rocky Mountain Rotorcraft maintains:

http://www.rockymountainrotorcraft.com/phpBB2/index.php

Some of the factory support people post there on occasion, too.

I don't have much time in the 280 yet, but I'm working on it and as has already been said, it's a great ship. You're gonna love it!