300 CBi Questions

Hey again everyone the school I train at just took delivery of a brand new 300 CBi. I haven't really looked at the actual POH but I have been reviewing the paperback information manual and I have a few questions.

1. Why is there a cruise speed lower than Vne?

2. Where is the OGE hover chart?

3. The procedure for Engine failure says not to rapidly lower the collective during or after ground contact. Whenever I did fulldowns the R22 the down collective after the cushion was very rapid. How slowly and why slowly?

4. There is no information about the door weights or stations, nor any information for the handling wheels weights or stations. (Im guessing this may be on the official data sheet) Is the basic empty weight on the official sheet computed with the handling wheels on or off (since we have the ones that you can fly with in the up position).

5. Our clutch switch says Auto-Engage on it, do you just click it and let it do its thing or are you still suppose do the manual engagement outlined the handbook. (Keep in mind I don't have any training on this AC yet).

Thanks guys.

1. Cruise speed is ALOT lower than VNE, mostly because unless you're in a 45 degree dive you won't get anywhere near VNE. VNE is based on the structural integrity of the CBi more than anything else.

2. In the POH i believe.

3. I presume you're talking about full downs? If you then F/D are normally run-on so you keep the Coll up in order to preserve ground speed and keep the thing light on the skids.

4. Again in the POH, there's a complete stations map.

5. Yes, auto engage works a treat, When engaging the clutch, flick the switch up to engage then back down to auto. It brings the clutch in smoother than you having to do it yourself or worry about watching the rpm.

You'll enjoy it, they're great ship's to fly.

There is no OGE chart. When the H-269 was originally certified, it was cert'ed under CAR 5 (old civil aviation regs, pre-FAR) and they didn't require OGE charts.

Hey again everyone the school I train at just took delivery of a brand new 300 CBi. I haven't really looked at the actual POH but I have been reviewing the paperback information manual and I have a few questions.

1. Why is there a cruise speed lower than Vne?

2. Where is the OGE hover chart?

3. The procedure for Engine failure says not to rapidly lower the collective during or after ground contact. Whenever I did fulldowns the R22 the down collective after the cushion was very rapid. How slowly and why slowly?

4. There is no information about the door weights or stations, nor any information for the handling wheels weights or stations. (Im guessing this may be on the official data sheet) Is the basic empty weight on the official sheet computed with the handling wheels on or off (since we have the ones that you can fly with in the up position).

5. Our clutch switch says Auto-Engage on it, do you just click it and let it do its thing or are you still suppose do the manual engagement outlined the handbook. (Keep in mind I don't have any training on this AC yet).

Thanks guys.

1. Because consistently cruising at Vne isn't a good idea? IMHO :D. Structural integrity (especially with doors off) and R.B.S. obviously.

2. Section 8 (Operations & Performance) in the POH

3. So you don't flip over during a ground run :o. Plus with our Oleos you could get a unusually nose low attitude during as you rapidly lower and stop and *potentially* chop the tailboom off I would imagine. Lower by feeling.

4. Door info isn't called out in the POH it looks like, and the ground handling wheels are not included in "delivered weight", you would have to add them, (and any equipment you want to install) to the W/B record.

5. Auto engagement is very convenient and super easy, (if we are talking about the same kind).

There should be a little switch near the clutch switch that says Engage Fast/Engage Slow/and Off or Manual. Set rotor engagement idle speed, set that switch to slow, and select Auto Engage/Engage with the clutch switch then click the clutch switch back to Hold and continue with your start/powerup.

The clutch will engage in pulses (you should see the clutch release warning light flicker throughout the engagement), wait till the needles are married then flip clutch switch to engage and close the cover as usual, watch release light till it goes out etc...

Switch auto engagement switch back to off. It sounds like a lot but its really easy.

The supplement packet I have for the STAR system says you should use only use the Fast setting if the aircraft was just flown and the belts are warmed up. Personally I only use the Slow setting, it's not really slow, it keeps the RPM stable throughout engagement. It's about as fast as doing it manually, maybe a bit faster.

Hope that helped :lol: